TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lmk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,283, Level: 12 Points: 7,283, Level: 12 Points: 7,283, Level: 12

Question The Medication Decision - September 9th 2013, 04:18 AM

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on the question of whether or not to take medication for depression. I have been struggling with depression for 6 years, and was officially diagnosed a couple months ago. Since I've been in treatment, the question of medication has come up.

Thus far in my life, I have only really heard bad things about anti-depressants. The two people I know who are/have been on meds have said that they feel zombie-like and emotionless to the point that they wouldn't care if someone died. It sounds incredibly scary, and the idea of messing with my own brain chemistry is very intimidating. I hate being depressed, but I do not want to be emotionless either.

On the other hand, however, is the fact that I have been dealing with this since I was 11. I have months where I feel better, but ultimately I always come back to depression. I have been in therapy since January of this year, and although I thought I was starting to feel better I have fallen right back into depression again and I don't know how much longer I can really handle this for. I have come very close to taking my own life, and I think that if something doesn't change soon I will eventually end up going through with it. This is just as scary as the idea of medication, and I tend to lean towards the benefits outweighing the risks.

I am really in need of some advice on this tough issue, and I hope that some people here may be able to give me their opinions or experiences. Any help would be very much appreciated!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25 Points: 30,771, Level: 25

Re: The Medication Decision - September 9th 2013, 09:14 AM

Hey

I've been on medication for 3 years, and I can definitely say that it has helped. The anti-depressant i'm on doesn't make me feel like a zombie, and I still experience emotions!
I was quite anti medications until I'd been dealing with depression for 6 years and wasn't getting any better. Throughout those 6 years I had been on different medications, but I wasn't on them long enough to feel the benefits. Plus the ones i'd tried didn't work well with me. I finally found one that's right and have been doing well since.

It's completely up to you whether or not you want to try. If you feel that you've tried everything else and nothing's working, then it may be a good idea to try medication. Remember it can take quite a few weeks until you feel any positive effects from them, and you may get some side-effects, but they calm down also after a while. If one doesn't suit you at first, there are many more out there to try, so don't give up if you find it doesn't work.

I hope this has helped a bit!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14 Points: 9,959, Level: 14

Re: The Medication Decision - September 9th 2013, 01:49 PM

Couple of thoughts. I did the medication thing, and I did feel less extremes on all sides of emotion. But it helped, and it worked. After a while, I got better.

My sister is on medication for depression. When she doesn't have it, you can see the effects in a couple of days. With it, she's an incredibly energetic and passionate person. That's been going on for about 15 years now, I suspect it will be a lifelong thing.

There's also some research surrounding the use of anti-depressants in adolescents. Basically, a lot of the time it can be of little use, but sometimes works well. Really depends on the mix of drugs and individuals.

You say you've been in therapy since January. Mind if I ask what sort of therapy? Again I go back to the research (is my nature) - CBT works, especially in adolescents. But if it's not working for you, then I would give the drugs a try. Speak to a doctor though, I'm no medical professional.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Points: 18,266, Level: 19 Points: 18,266, Level: 19 Points: 18,266, Level: 19

Re: The Medication Decision - September 9th 2013, 04:12 PM

Hey there,

I understand your concerns about taking anti-depressants to control your mood. It is quite a daunting part of therapy to consider, which is normal in any big decision your going to take. However without trying them, you won't really know if they work for you or not.

I know a lot of people say anti-depressants are no good, but many just say it via word of mouth, or rumours. Many people who haven't even taken them yet just decide they're not going to work when they really don't know. In actual fact everybody is different, every brain is different, every level of depression in people is different, types of anti-depressants are different, and the situations/personality type/background of the people taking the anti-depressants is too different. So again it is a matter of trying it before you can judge it. I was very precautious about taking tablets too, after my doctor advised me to start taking them, 6 years into my depression. I didn't want medication, didn't think it would make a difference, didn't believe takin a pill everyday would make me better, but until I didn't start trying them I didn't know. Even then, it was my fourth antidepressant which worked for me. And its not even an instant change, all they do is help stabilize your mood. You still feel your normal emotions like anger sadness happiness etc, you definitely do not turn into a zombie (at least not when the tablets have got into your system ) They just keep your mood from dropping too low, and help you to manage things better.

There is a lot of different types of anti-depressants and I know it might seem easier to just go for counselling, but both therapies work very well together. It does take time and patience to find the right one which works for you. It takes time for them to kick into your system, and you have to keep taking them, Do remember they're not like painkillers which you just take as an when you need. You have to keep taking them until your doctor and you both feel you're well enough to start decreasing your dose and eventually coming off them altogether.

I know they have really helped me get better by keeping my mood stable. Sometimes I wish i'd listened the first time i'd been told about taking medication, then may be my recovery from depression would have happened earlier. But overall I am glad I started taking them, they really do help and would encourage anyone with a long history of depression to start taking them.

Hope this helps in some way
Pm me if you need anything

Take care x

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: The Medication Decision - September 9th 2013, 06:37 PM

As Sabah mentioned, there are a lot of different types of anti-depressants. Some are taken in the morning, others at night. Some have sedative-like effects whereas others do not. Some are higher dosage whereas others are weaker. I've been on 2 different types of medication. One was a sedative anti-depressant which I took at night time, it helped me combat my never ending insomnia and helped me get a good night's rest and then it helped me feel good and refreshed in the morning. The second which I'm currently on is a little different, I stil ltake it at night but it isn't a sedative and isn't for assisting in the combat of insomnia but is prescribed as a higher dosage.

Naturally with all medication there are side-effects but usually the most common is drowsiness, pupil dilation and nausea. It sounds bad but it's not. Not all medication is right for everyone. Some medication can cause one person side-effects whereas with another person they don't.

Personally, I was hesitant to begin on medication for personal reasons but the longer I chose to put it off the worse I got. Medication doesn't necessarily prevent the depression completely but it does help you to feel much better and more fuller during the day. You must ensure to be careful of what you take when on medication as whatever is being taken may clash and so it's better to seek advice from your GP before drinking alcohol or taking any other medication beforehand.

If you do feel you're at risk of taking your medication make sure someone handles your medication for you. Do not handle your own medication as you may be a risk to yourself. A lot of people say they won't do anything with their medication but once a person hits an ll time low where they feel they can't go on any longer, overdose is one of the main thoughts and with a handy supply of medication which they have easy access to, it's where they first go to try and help relieve themselves. Remember, give your medication to a family member who you live with who will make sure you take your medication and ensure that it's somewhere out of your reach. This is something your GP will agree that you should do because you don't want your medication to be a danger to yourself. It's there to help you feel better not to cause your death.

All in all, naturally all medication comes with side-effects but it's a matter of being sensible. Medication isn't the easy answer to depression it's just there to give you an uplift. In combination with your therapist, you can help yourself to get better.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: The Medication Decision - September 9th 2013, 07:07 PM

I've never been anti-meds, but I am against them as a first resort. Since you're currently in therapy it couldn't hurt to try it. Everyone reacts differently so just because someone else had a bad reaction, it doesn't mean you will and there are a TON of different kinds to try so if one doesn't work you have plenty of options. You will not need to be on it forever either. Medication can have an effect of increased risk of suicidal thoughts and actions in people under 25, so make sure you are monitored very carefully and don't be afraid to let someone know if that happens. As a future mental health professional i also have to recommend seeking medication from a psychiatrist rather than a medical doctor if possible, they are better able and more likely to evaluate you completely as opposed to just throwing something at you and sending you home.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
strongsince2013 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,112, Level: 11 Points: 6,112, Level: 11 Points: 6,112, Level: 11

Re: The Medication Decision - September 17th 2013, 12:03 PM

Hey

If you don't mind me asking what medication are you on? I have to pick up my prescription today but I'm still unsure as to if its actually going to help.

Thankss xo
Closed Thread