TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Doctor visits (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t123692-doctor-visits/)

WinchesterPower September 16th 2013 02:21 AM

Doctor visits

So my mother has been saying that its been too long since I've been to a doctor for a physical and she was saying that she wants to take me soon.

Well the last time I went my I had fewer and smaller scars and I really don't want my doctor to see them. My scars are mostly on my upper arms and hips. And I was kinda wondering what the chances of my scars being noticed are?

Another issue is that if my doctor were to see my scars I wouldn't want my mom to be in the room when it happened ya know? But my mother is always pretty set on coming into the office with me and I really don't want her to get suspicious of me like hiding drugs or something I don't know what she will think.

So is there any way I might be able to casual ask my mom not to come into the room with me?

hocus pocus September 16th 2013 04:24 PM

Re: Doctor visits

Hi Alex :hug:

I know what this is like. I struggled with physicals especially since we needed them for school. Is your mom aware of your cutting? If you don't want her in the room, you could simply ask her to wait. You could also tell her that you'd like to ask the doctor some questions about your health.

Have you thought about trying to possibly fade your scars before going? You could use a body scrub, or lemon juice; or bio oil. As for the chances of them being seen, it depends on how your doctor does things. Most likely, you'll be in a gown or your underwear. So you could probably wear underwear long enough to cover some of your scars.

Lastly, you could just let your doctor see so he or she could offer advice to you. But because you're under the age of eighteen (I think in some places, it's even sixteen) he or she will probably have to notify your parents. You could also consider telling your mom about it before going so you can get some help.

Tigereyes September 16th 2013 09:38 PM

I've been twice with noticeable scars on my thighs and my doctor didn't notice. The chances of them noticing are smaller if they're old scars than recent, so fading them would definitely help. Usually they tell your parents if they suspect self-harm, however your mom doesn't have to be in the room so you could always ask the doctor to tell your mom for you if they notice. It might even be good to ask your doctor for help even if they dont notice. I'm sorry you have to go through this; it really sucks.

Ennui. September 16th 2013 11:12 PM

Unlike the other two, my doctor noticed some of the scars that I had on my thighs, and I honestly thought that they were really light! Doctors are mandatory reporters, so if they do notice, they will have to tell since you are a minor. But, it really depends on the doctor and what their procedures are. Cassie gave you some good ideas for trying to fade your scars before you go to make them at least a bit less noticeable.

I also agree that maybe even if your doctor doesn't notice you can still tell them about what you're going through so you can get the support. You don't deserve to go through this alone!

But, maybe you can explain to your mom that you're fifteen now and feel as if you are mature enough to go in to the exam room by yourself. You can let her know it's just easier to talk about things (my doctor talks about my period and all of that other fun stuff, if yours does too you can use this excuse) when the two of you are in private, or you juts want the responsibility and will make sure the doctor reports back anything abnormal to her.

Best of luck!

-Dez

WinchesterPower September 17th 2013 01:00 AM

Ahh thanks guys ill see if I can try and fade them a bit before I go. Owo I really don't want to tell anyone though so ill probably try to avoid that scenario as much as possible.