TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jazzyjarvs Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Julia

I'm new here butttt - September 16th 2013, 09:47 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I must say that i'm scared. I need someone to talk to about this stuff who will understand. I've been self harming for a year now, first with scratching, then I took it upon myself to find actual blades. My parents knew for a while, but now they think I've stopped. But it's gotten bad again. My friend keeps telling me to throw out my blades, but it's hard. I threw out three, but I still have two. I don't cut on my wrists anymore - I cut in a less obvious place (my thighs, my stomach, etc). I just don't know how much longer I can keep hiding it since I just got blood on my jeans yesterday. Is there anyone here that's willing to talk to and relate to this? I would love to make friends here

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I'm new here butttt - September 16th 2013, 09:55 PM

Hi, Julia. to TH. I'd love to to talk to you. Send me a message any time

First, I recommend you start by checking the Alternatives Sticky at the top of the Self-harm forum. There are a lot of good ideas in there that can distract you from harming yourself. Secondly, do you know what your triggers are? When you're triggered, try to stop and write down what upset you. Write down what happened, the time, and how you can cope in a healthy way.

Throwing out your blades is a huge step; but only do so when you feel that you are ready. Like, when you're ready enough so you won't go back out to get more blades. Since your parents do know, I think you should sit them down and let them know that you are still struggling with self harm.

Best wishes,
Cassie.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bre :3

Re: I'm new here butttt - September 17th 2013, 05:23 AM

Hi there Julia, I can relate you in a way. Back when I used to cut/self harm I would do it on my stomach and just barely to where if my mom did see it wasn't really obvious. I wanted her to know yet was scared to at same time. You've taken a big step by coming here and asking for help, also throwing away some of your blades shows you're stronger than you know. Have you tried any alternatives? I've found the best way to beat self harm is to find something to distract me and remind myself who I'm hurting besides myself by doing so. A list of alternatives to self harm can be found here:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

If you ever need to talk or vent or whatever, I'm here and my PMs are always open. Stay strong and remember you have to crawl before you can walk, take this one step at a time and remember we love you.

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE
08/07/14 Social Networking Team

She walks away the colors fade to grey. - Black Keys

Keep your head up, you're only one grey day away from sunshine.

10/15/2015- The day he came into my life and made it all okay.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ViceOverVirtue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nikole

Re: I'm new here butttt - September 17th 2013, 05:44 AM

Hi Julia Welcome to TH. I'm sorry to hear that your SH has gotten bad again. Maybe, if you're trying to quit, you should tell your parents that you've started doing it again. They already knew before, so maybe that would make it easier for you to tell them. Or at least try some of the ideas in the Alternatives Sticky, like the other people already mentioned. There's a HUGE list of ideas. I know how hard it is to quit. I'm still trying. You can message me any time if you need someone to talk to, or just want to make a new friend on here

"Skies are blue and I'm alive. So all is well." - John O'Callaghan

(#5 (permalink)) Old
eckky Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alec

Re: I'm new here butttt - September 17th 2013, 12:54 PM

hey jullie and welcome to teen help. i can relate in nearly everyway apart that my mum and dad don't know theve saw my marks and cuts but they just act like there not there in slowly starting to stop but it is extreamly hard to stop. My friends the only person that knows I self harm and in planing on keeping it that way I can't take my top off on a hot day because the marks I keep trying to get the courage to go further than self harm but I can't. So I can nearly relate to you I started to go on the trip to stop because of a girl I speak too on the internet and she helped me so if you want or need to pm me anytime even if you just want to chat

(#6 (permalink)) Old
scarsremindme Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: James Bruce

Re: I'm new here butttt - September 27th 2013, 06:58 PM

welcome to teen help julie. it's very hard for you to stop cutting yourself. i know the feeling all to well. its hard to stop. but you and I both have to stop. but i need to let you know that your friend is right to an extent. you should throw out the blades but suddenly stopping could potentially be dangerous. your body may begin to crave the endorphin rush that self harming creates. its essentially addictive

Closed Thread