TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 07:49 AM

I have been a cutter for about 6 months now. Everyone i talk that does it says they want to stop or hates that they do it. Well I don't. I love doing it, and it helps me SO much to get pass my day. If I didnt do it, i would be doing worst thing like drugs or getting drunk. I am sorry, i know i should post about how i want to stop and how i hate it but i don't. I need it this. Why is it so bad to cut? I mean its better than drugs right? Is it just me that loves it and does want to stop. I go to great pains to hide it, so its not for attention like some have told me. Does anyone like it

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; September 22nd 2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Editing title

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1066645 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 10:48 AM

DUDE! It's just as worse!

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 02:37 PM

I have been struggling with cutting for five years. The thing is, it is a drug. When you cut, endorphins are released into you to give you that "feel good" feeling. Cutting is just as dangerous; it can lead to excessive blood loss or death. You could ruin tissue and nerves as well. However, I understand that you don't want to stop. If you ever feel like you want to stop, let us know and we'll help you

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 03:47 PM

Hey there!

I understand how you feel, completely. I've been self-harming for quite a long time now, and I'm still not entirely sure whether I want to stop or not. Sometimes I'm actually rather afraid to stop, because of the possibility that a withdrawal from self-harm could manifest itself in the form of another addiction. Remember that if you ever want help, we're here for you. You can beat the urges and live without any sort of addiction.

Hang in there!

~ Gareth
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 04:00 PM

Hey there,

I've been where you are before and didn't want to stop because it felt good and it was helping BUT there will come a time when you look at yourself and see the scars and the cuts and you'll just think "why have I done this?". If you're not at that stage right now then that's okay, cutting is addictive and it does release certain hormones which do make you feel good.

That being said it's still an unhealthy way of dealing with your emotions. You're damaging your body and whilst you might disagree it is the same as drinking alcohol or taking drugs in the sense it's damaging you and it's an unhealthy addiction.

I know it's hard to stop and it's even harder if you don't feel like you want to but just try and think logically about this. In a few years from now all you're going to be left with is scars and a lot of them will probably be with you forever, if they're in a place like on your arms then you may never want to wear short sleeves again because you'll be afraid of people seeing them. Self harm gradually tends to get worse as well so right now you may only be hurting yourself a little but in the future you may cut deeper than you intended and have to go see a doctor or risk it getting infected and then there's the cost you'll spend on medical supplies : plasters, steri strips, bandages, scar reducing ointment.

All I'm saying is think about what you're doing and in the meantime if you don't want to stop then just make sure you're being careful and safe about this.

I hope this helped, take care!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 04:23 PM

I once posted a thread about this. From logic (scientific angle), there's nothing wrong about cutting, except possible risks. This is affecting your blood we're talking about. You can easily go wrong with it.
It's your choice, easy as that. But I never understood this addiction since I know there are better ways to relax and relieve yourself. There are great alternatives which don't leave traces behind and make your life better. I'm not on the side of any sort of SH-ing. It links to self-destructive tendencies (as your post indicates) and low respect for one's body.
It's less of a risk than drinking alcohol. But be careful, addictions bring long-lasting consequences. The body regenerates while you don't. Keep that in mind.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 04:53 PM

thanks for the feedback guys, i know its might to be right or normal but i see it, for now, as the best way to handle problems

(#8 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordioa18 View Post
DUDE! It's just as worse!
worst then drinking and drugs?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 05:43 PM

Cutting and self harm are no better than drinking or drugs. None of them are healthy ways to deal with things.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Moon View Post
Cutting and self harm are no better than drinking or drugs. None of them are healthy ways to deal with things.

is it is better. When was the last time you read that some girl cut herself and got a car and killed a family? When was the last time a girl had sex with a man to get free razors to cut herself?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 06:51 PM

If you think it's better, that's fine. That's your opinion. We just have different opinions, that's all

1941-2016

They whispered to her
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchantment View Post
If you think it's better, that's fine. That's your opinion. We just have different opinions, that's all
not i understand, i am to debate on how it is the same. I give you that they are both bad for me, but i dont see getting drunk and high is just as bad

(#13 (permalink)) Old
kaydee. Offline
Awesome Member
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 07:32 PM

I've been cutting for 6 years now, and it feels like it helps me, but in reality it doesn't.
I wish I could stop, but I could see where you might enjoy it.
In my opinion it feels good at the moment, but then I feel shameful about it.
Cutting is hurting your emotions. ;\
You may think it's the best thing in the world, but in reality you probably have some kind of mental disorder.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 07:41 PM

why are you shameful? could it be cause of how other people might judge you for it

Follow me on twitter! https://twitter.com/AtheistFire

(#15 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistProud View Post
not i understand, i am to debate on how it is the same. I give you that they are both bad for me, but i dont see getting drunk and high is just as bad
If you'd like to post a debate thread, consider posting it under Current Events & Debates We generally use this sub forum for self help.

1941-2016

They whispered to her
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
kaydee. Offline
Awesome Member
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 08:16 PM

I feel shameful because if people see my cuts they'll think it's because I want attention, but it's actually a cry for help, and maybe that's what you need is some help? D;

~If you can't change it; change the way you think about it.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 08:19 PM

Hi,
I will not say I "like" cutting. I do not like it. I do feel I need it at times and that it does help me with my emotions.
I believe it is not the act of cutting that people like, it is what they get from cutting, mainly the release of endorphins in the brain that create a very euphoric and awake/relaxing feeling. Cutting calms me down when I am really stress, allows me to feel something when I am numb and to feel something different when I am feeling depressed or upset. I also use it to punish myself.
Do I wish I had never started, oh yes!! I definitely do. It has been a really hard past few months without it and I am hoping I can continue to go without it for my own safety.
In terms of it being just as bad as alcohol or drugs, I agree in some ways. The risk of getting an infection or of bleeding severely is very likely and doing this can affect a person's emotions as well.
I hope that one day you get to a point that you want to stop because the longer you do this, the worse it will get and the harder it will get to stop.
That may not matter to you now but when you want to wear a short sleeve outfit to a nice event, you will realize that is not possible due to the amount of scarring you will cause. Hope this makes sense and is helpful in some way.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#18 (permalink)) Old
coolkid98 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jenny

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee. View Post
I've been cutting for 6 years now, and it feels like it helps me, but in reality it doesn't.
I wish I could stop, but I could see where you might enjoy it.
In my opinion it feels good at the moment, but then I feel shameful about it.
Cutting is hurting your emotions. ;\
You may think it's the best thing in the world, but in reality you probably have some kind of mental disorder.
Hi Kaydee, I'm always here if you want to stop. If you want to stop, then let us know. You could always have a look at the list of alternatives which can be found here.
Always make sure to look after you wounds to prevent infection, you can find first aid advice here.

I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to VM or PM me

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: I am a self cutter, PROUD of it and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistProud View Post
is it is better. When was the last time you read that some girl cut herself and got a car and killed a family? When was the last time a girl had sex with a man to get free razors to cut herself?
It is not "better." For the person doing it, it's just as unhealthy. There's obvious physical risks, infection, nerve damage, etc. There's also negative psychological effects that I'm not going to go fully into right now. It also negatively affects others just as drinking and drugs do. It makes people worry. You can also directly affect others. For example, disposing of any sort of self harm instrument. Most people just throw them away somewhere. This is not the correct disposal of any sort of sharp, especially when it has blood on it. It runs the risk of infecting someone else if they unknowingly stumble upon it.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#20 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 22nd 2013, 11:32 PM

Hey there,

I just wanted to remind everyone that teenhelp:

Quote:
TeenHelp encourages positive, safe, recovery-focused choices and will not tolerate advice that encourages harmful behaviour.
So, while you are entitled to your beliefs please try and keep things within this thread according to teenhelps CoC. Also, we expect everyone to be treated with respectfully.

As for the OP, yes, there have been times when I haven't felt like stopping my self harm but the last time I cut I went really deep and it scared me. Self harm is just as dangerous as drinking and drugs for the health of the individual who is participating in the activity. Yeah, with self harm you aren't likely to inflict pain upon anyone else but you are inflicting pain upon yourself and this pain can end up becoming very severe. You could end up cutting deep enough to do damage to your body that is irreversible. You could hit a vein or artery or cause severe muscle damage. So, while it is a good thing that self harm cannot inflict pain on other people you should think of the pain it is inflicting upon yourself. And, right now you might not be cutting that deep but it will only be a matter of time before you have to go deeper.

No one can force you to want recovery, you have to want that. And, I hope one day you will see that recovery is the best option but until then please stay safe and look into this thread: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...d-information/ and this one: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

Wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 23rd 2013, 12:47 AM

Hey, I used to be a self-harmer too and I know how you feel. But is hurting yourself really going to solve your problems? Is it going to get you the answer to your problem? Sure, it provides mental relief to some extent, but you are doing more damage to yourself as Jenna mentioned in her post. I know it's really hard to stop, but you can do this. I know this is going to be a bit off-topic, but do you want to live everyday with fear of people finding out? Do you want to keep hiding your arms or wherever it is that you cut? Do you want to miss out on fun things because of SH? Think about it- do you want to keep living in fear of someone seeing the cuts? If you need to talk, I'm always here. Feel free to PM/VM me anytime!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#22 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 23rd 2013, 01:56 AM

sorry if this was the wrong area to post this, i thought it was about help. i thought supporting others that feel as i do was help. i know if i found others like me, that would help me a lot. sorry

Follow me on twitter! https://twitter.com/AtheistFire

(#23 (permalink)) Old
scarsremindme Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: James Bruce

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - September 23rd 2013, 01:14 PM

i understand i still self harm and i don't want to stop. but i know that i should. it damages nerves and affects skin growth. it is seriously addictive and it is not a safe way of dealing with your emotions. while its ok to be proud of it to an extent because you are showing you have made it through a lot and they are your own battle scars its imperative that you stop. you will one day reach a point where you want to. and we will be here when that time comes.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
blyn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: brooklyn

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - October 2nd 2013, 03:05 AM

i love cutting, its werid. but i cnt do it because i dont want my family to see the scars, im always excited for the next cut. the blade is my only true friend

(#25 (permalink)) Old
ViceOverVirtue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nikole

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - October 3rd 2013, 04:43 AM

People do drugs to make themselves feel good (temporarily). People cut to make themselves feel good (temporarily). People can get seriously addicted to drugs. People can get seriously addicted to cutting. After you do drugs for a while, you become habituated and you need more to get the same effect. Same with cutting. Depending on how badly you cut, it can kill you way faster than drugs. Both can be deadly. Cutting is no better than drugs. You could seriously hurt yourself. I know how you feel right now. I felt the same way when I first started (5 years ago). You've only been doing it for 6 months. It WILL get worse, and you could get (or may already be) addicted to it. It isn't fun, even though you think it is right now. So, why is it so bad? Well, it will cause you to lie to the people you love, you could cut too deep, it becomes an addiction, your cuts could get infected if you don't care for them properly, you won't be able to wear certain clothes without being judged because your scars will show..the list is endless. There are other (better) ways to make yourself feel good. Please stop while you can.

"Skies are blue and I'm alive. So all is well." - John O'Callaghan

(#26 (permalink)) Old
hrjohns Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - October 4th 2013, 01:10 AM

I know what you mean! I'm only 13, and I started cutting in July, but I just love seeing my cuts and touching them and everything. I don't necessarily want to stop. It's your body, and FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO THINK I'M BEING INSENSITIVE AND STUPID, just think about it. It's her body,[EDITED]. If one day she regrets everything, let her. That's her lesson learned. Let her make her mistakes and just let her live her life.

Last edited by .:Bibliophile:.; October 5th 2013 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Removing content that goes against CoC

(#27 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - October 4th 2013, 01:12 AM

You think self-harm seriously would only ever affect the individual? Well okay, I can see how you can think that.

But self-harm, in the same way as drug addictions do, gets out of control, and requires more and more to get the same "fix". One day, cutting will not be enough. The destructive urge that comes from self-harming can lead to a need to destroy everything you are.

What about a person whose need to destroy themselves is so intense, that they don't take others safety into account? A self-destructive person behind the wheel of a car is just as dangerous as an intoxicated person behind the wheel of a car. Who knows when that person with self-destructive urges is going to veer into oncoming traffic? Or stop in the path of high-speed traffic?

What about when the need to self-harm gets so intense, that hiding it is no longer an option? When the addiction is so controlling, that the person self-harms in public places?

Then it affects others.
You know why you don't hear about it? Generally, because often people with perceived mental illness (and self-harming behaviours can be indicative of such), are protected by law - media can't just report willy-nilly. At least that's how it is in my country.

What I am saying it that although right now, you feel in control of this behaviour and feel that it is beneficial to you, that is unlikely to last. I used to think I was in control, too. But I needed it more and more, and I got dangerous. My self-destructive behaviour has affected others, and it's got me into trouble with the police, too.

It's okay that you're not ready to consider stopping at the moment. You can't be expected to just stop a behaviour when others feel you should, it has to come from yourself. And wanting to stop can be a long process - I've been self-harming for twelve years at this point, I haven't self-harmed for a bit because I've been setting goals with my therapist, but I'm still not sure that I want to stop.

But yeah. I just wanted to point out that what is normally a very private behaviour can escalate and affect others.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Online
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - October 5th 2013, 04:12 AM

Everyone is in a different place. You don't have to want to stop. That's just where you are right now. No one will judge you for being in the place you're in.

However, self-harming behaviors are not healthy. They are a destructive coping mechanism used to deal with stress and uncomfortable thoughts and emotions. It is just as addictive as drugs or alcohol. When you self-injure, the body releases endorphins, chemicals in the brain induced with pleasant experiences, in order to cope with the pain. These chemicals have an addictive quality, much like the ways drugs also release pleasurable brain chemicals.

Self-harm also comes with a host of consequences. In addition to emotional isolation and emotional instability, there are dangerous physical consequences, namely infection. Some infections can be small and treated with antibiotics (although you would still have to see a doctor), but others are not nearly as lucky. Methicillin-resistant-Staphylococcus-Aureus, or MRSA, is a deadly form of staphylococcus bacteria. Staph bacteria are airborne, meaning they could be present at any time. Once they enter the wound, it is the perfect breeding ground for infection. At the very least, severe MRSA could land you in the hospital. At the worst, it can lead to sepsis, toxic shock and death. Sepsis is a very painful way to die.

No one can choose for you to stop this behavior but you. However, you need to be aware of the consequences, emotional, physical and social. Nobody thinks infection will happen to them, but it does...and it's not rare, either.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
MichieRay Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rachel

Re: I am a self cutter, and I DO NOT WANT TO STOP - October 10th 2013, 09:34 AM

This is a drug, but I'm unsure if I'll ever stop.. I don't know how I feel about it actually. It's more of a need...
I'm also extremely self destructive. SO that might be why... idk..

Closed Thread