TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Those annoying thoughts - September 23rd 2013, 03:34 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

They're back. I've started thinking about cutting again but I haven't done it in two years. Still the urges come and I'm getting tired of dealing with them.

I don't know what to do. It's just building up and I can't find a constructive release. Help?

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#2 (permalink)) Old
kaydee. Offline
Awesome Member
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Those annoying thoughts - September 23rd 2013, 04:01 AM

Hey, I understand how hard it can be.
I was 3 weeks free from self-harm, and I relapsed yesterday. ;\

Someone posted this thread in the other thread I posted in, so here's some alternatives.
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

And, think about how far you've came.
2 years is a long time.
Keep on fighting! You can do it.

~If you can't change it; change the way you think about it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Those annoying thoughts - September 23rd 2013, 05:47 PM

Wow, two years is awesome! Congrats!

Sorry, I'm a little late to reply. But I hope you're okay Two years is a long time to go without self harming, and you should be proud of yourself. Those urges will eventually subside within time. Do you know what's been triggering you, if anything in particular? Check out this thread for some alternatives. You can keep me posted if you'd like

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Those annoying thoughts - September 23rd 2013, 08:41 PM

Hey there,

Two years is amazing! You should be really proud of yourself.

When I get the thoughts about self harm I will write them down. That way I am able to get the thoughts out of my head and that stops them from repeating over and over again. Do you think writing down the thoughts that you are having could be something that could help you overcome this? I know different things work for different people so what are some other things that have worked for you? Is there something in particular that might be triggering these thoughts? Maybe something is stressing you out and you need to work on dealing with that stressor in order to overcome these thoughts that you are having?

Is there anyone in your life that you would feel comfortable opening up to about your self harm thoughts? It can be really helpful to talk to someone about what you are dealing with because then you are not dealing with it all on your own and like everyone you deserve to have support while you are trying to figure out how to deal with these thoughts.

I definitely think you should look at the alternatives and try some of the things listed. It might help to just go down the list and try each thing one at a time until you find an alternative that works for you.

Something that has helped me deal with my self harm urges and thoughts is making a list of reasons why I shouldn't turn back to self harm. Do you think doing something like that would help you as well? Sometimes reminding myself of all the reasons I don't need to go back to cutting can be a real eye opener, you know?

I really hope that this helped in some way and if you need anything please feel free to message me.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Zen Ryochan Offline
Love and Tolerate
Average Joe

Name: Ryan

Re: Those annoying thoughts - September 25th 2013, 09:38 PM

My whole life is stress. It's amazing I've come this far to be honest... It just feels like I really want it again, like how you get thirsty.

I've got no one to talk to about it. Anyone who I have tried to talk to have just told me to suck it up. They don't actually understand why someone would self harm. When my dad found out he actually laughed at me.

I don't live with my parents anymore. I'm on my own and life is just getting really hard.

"To suspect your own mortality is to know the beginning of terror; to learn irrefutably that you are mortal is to know the end of terror." -Frank Herbert

“To love our enemy is impossible. The moment we understand our enemy, we feel compassion towards him or her, and he or she is no longer our enemy.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Those annoying thoughts - September 26th 2013, 05:29 PM

It is very amazing that you've come this far, you should reward yourself

Well, remember that you always have us! We'll always help you Anyone who has laughed at you or told you to suck it up is very ignorant and uneducated. I just want to remind you that there are people out there that care; there are people that will listen to you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

Closed Thread