TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sunflower (Nickname)

Unhappy Not enough... - October 9th 2013, 06:11 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

12 new cuts on top of 20 others...it's not enough....my arm is warm, tiny blood drops forming...but it's not enough....why do I feel like I have to have more? I don't get it...help...?

"The girl who seemed unbreakable
Broke.
The girl who seemed so strong
Crumbled.
The girl who always laughed it off
Cried.
The girl who would never stop trying
Finally gave up & quit."
~Unknown

My blog: http://theonewhofakedhersmile.wordpress.com/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Not enough... - October 9th 2013, 06:32 AM

It helps to see self-harm as an addiction - the more you do it, the more you need to satisfy whatever it is that drives you to self-harm in the first place.

It's quite common for self-harm to start small and gradually get out of control. I urge you to talk to somebody about this, if you haven't already, as feeling like it's not enough can lead to dangerous places. Also, for me, it was quite embarrassing when I required medical attention, and I genuinely believe that it's best to get help early. So talk to somebody. Self-harm is addictive, and that's quite likely why this doesn't feel enough to you now.

In the mean time, to prevent it from getting worse right now, try some distractions or alternatives, or do something soothing for yourself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Not enough... - October 9th 2013, 03:18 PM

Jess is right, self-harm is an addiction.

Have you ever talked to someone about this? I recommend you reach out for help before you get worse. It can be anyone, parents, an aunt or uncle, a teacher, coach, or counselor. It can be anyone that you trust. Telling someone can be really hard to do but it's definitely worth it because you can get help in the end.

Also, make sure that you take care of your cuts to increase the risk of infection. I'll link the first aid information here. Do you know what triggered you? If so, think about it. Think about how you can solve those situations for the next time.

I encourage you to do something healthy when you have an urge. Go for a walk, play with your pets, things like that. You can write it out, or talk to someone. There's also the Sticky with alternatives.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Not enough... - October 9th 2013, 11:08 PM

Hey there,

As the other two posters have said, self harm is an addiction. This means that you start craving the self harm more often, and sometimes it gets to a point where you need more of the self harm to function or get the same good feeling you got before. This is similar to how some substances work, where you need more to get the same feeling.

Cassie gave you a really awesome link to the alternatives to self harm list. The thing with self harm is that it isn't a healthy, safe way to cope. You have to worry about hiding the injuries from those you don't want to know, as well as preventing infection. Also, the problems come back because you aren't actively solving them. An alternative on the list Cassie gave you is a healthy, safer way to cope. If one alternative doesn't work, don't get discouraged. There are plenty more out there, and one will work for you! I tend to find self expression like writing, art, or music to help me. It may also help if you're with someone when you have the urge, either in person or on the phone, because it's harder to self harm when people are around.

I also recommend speaking to a trusted adult about this. They can help you identify your triggers if you are unsure of them, give you better coping mechanisms, and also help you solve the problem. If one adult doesn't help, don't get discouraged. Your voice deserves to be heard and there will be someone out there who is willing to listen. It can be so beneficial to you to have support, and you don't deserve to go through this alone.

Do you know what it is that is triggering you to self harm in the first place? If you are unsure of what is triggering you, it may be beneficial for you to try and find out. One way to find out your triggers is by keeping a journal. Even if you do know your triggers, a journal is a good way to vent, though. In the journal take special note of the times you have the urge to self harm by writing down the date and time it happened, where you were, what was going on, and how you felt. You can also write about how you dealt with the situation, like whether you self harmed or dealt with it in a different way. Then, when you're calmer you can look back and notice patterns or events that may be causing you to have these urges that you can try and solve or get advice on.

Keep your head held high, stay strong, and keep fighting. The fight is so worth it, and you CAN kick self harm to the curb. This doesn't have to beat you.

-Dez

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sunflower (Nickname)

Re: Not enough... - October 11th 2013, 04:04 AM

Thank you guys so much...I just have trouble thinking of something else to do when I'm panicking or such...

"The girl who seemed unbreakable
Broke.
The girl who seemed so strong
Crumbled.
The girl who always laughed it off
Cried.
The girl who would never stop trying
Finally gave up & quit."
~Unknown

My blog: http://theonewhofakedhersmile.wordpress.com/

Closed Thread