TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sacofumd Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Faith

I don't really know what's happening... - November 2nd 2013, 06:08 PM

I have been doing great self harm free for almost two years in December. I've been dealing with urges ever sense I stopped but I don't know how to handle it anymore. I am a senior in highschool and I am totally stressed. I hate my brother because he caused me so much pain and still is. I don't think I can handle it anymore. I just want to cut......
  Send a message via AIM to sacofumd Send a message via Skype™ to sacofumd 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
purplemanatees Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ruth

Re: I don't really know what's happening... - November 2nd 2013, 09:23 PM

I'm sort of in the same boat right now, except I'll be 2 years free in February. I also still get a lot of urges and I know it can be really hard to deal with sometimes. Of course you can always go with the cliche snapping rubber bands/butterfly project/holding ice cubes/ripping paper/etc. but since those are so connected to the idea of self harm, personally they haven't always worked for me. Usually what works best for me is if I just try to distract myself in other ways. Watch TV, read, write, draw, play bass, take a nap, or just anything that I really enjoy doing. Personally, art and music have really helped me learn to cope with my life stresses. Whether that means listening/looking or actually doing. You should also try to surround yourself with people who aren't struggling with these same demons because often you'll end up fueling each others' problems. You've come a long way and you should be proud of yourself. Just keep swimming and do the best that you can. It's never going to be easy, but being able to distract yourself or reward yourself makes things a lot more bearable.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
sacofumd Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Faith

Re: I don't really know what's happening... - November 2nd 2013, 11:07 PM

Thanks. That helped to know some people understand. I was just having a bad urge when I wrote this but I distracted myself and it helped. So thank you!
  Send a message via AIM to sacofumd Send a message via Skype™ to sacofumd 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
purplemanatees Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ruth

Re: I don't really know what's happening... - November 3rd 2013, 03:39 AM

No problem I'm glad you're feeling better!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: I don't really know what's happening... - November 3rd 2013, 05:26 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this, partly because I know the feeling. I've recently tried to stop self-harming. I went 9 days(5 of which were spent in a mental hospital) and then relapsed. It's all a work in progress, don't worry too much about the forks in the road. You'll get by them.
But one thing that I find to be helpful is to identify why I want to self harm and what need I feel that it will satisfy. Then find an alternative that best suits that need. Such as i I want to do it for the relief/calming effect I can go take a hot bath instead. Also, there is the butterfly project. Where you draw a butterfly and write the name of someone that you love and care for deeply on it. If you cut, you kill that person(Not literally, of course! Metaphorically.). Also, you can't wash it off, you must wait for it to naturally. Then you reapply. Also, there is a really good list of alternatives on this support forum, you should go check them out!
I hope that everything goes well and wish you the best of luck <3

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS

Closed Thread