TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jeeajm123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chloe

Does anyone even care? No.. - November 26th 2013, 02:01 AM

No one cares. So no one would care if I cut. I've been cutting for 3 years. But no one cares. currently 62 days clean but I know it's not going to last long. No one cares anyway. I'm just giving up. I'm done. I'm cutting.

Sorry for my random little thing. It doesn't even matter.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Does anyone even care? No.. - November 26th 2013, 02:37 AM

Hi there,

First of all, I want to say 62 days is a HUGE accomplishment, so please don't think that it isn't. It shows 62 days where you could have given in and didn't, 62 days of struggle where you came out on top. Think of the urges you are going through as a temporary bump in the road, something you can climb over, dust yourself off, and come back out on top from.

Do you know what it is that is triggering you to cut? If you don't know, maybe you can keep a journal. In it you can take note of the times you want to self harm by writing down the date and time, where you are, what is happening, and how you feel. You can even write about how you handled the situation. Then, when you're calmer you can look through it and notice patterns or events that may have caused you to want to self harm that you can try and solve or get advice on. Or, you can also think back to the time you started self harming to see if you can pinpoint anything significant.

Why do you say that nobody cares about you, though? Are you sure about that? Have you ever actually sat down with them and let them know what is going on? I bet that if some of the people in your life knew how badly you were struggling, they would want to help. You make more of an impact on the people around you than you think, never forget that. Your voice DOES deserve to be heard.

Besides friends and family, there are other people to talk to, have you considered that? You can talk to guidance counselors, teachers, school nurses, coaches and club leaders, doctors, or even a therapist. Or, if there is another person in your life that you see regularly, you can talk to them. These people would be more than willing to get you through the bad times.

Self harm won't help you any, though. Your problems are just going to come back because you aren't doing anything to actively solving them. On top of those problems you have to hide the cuts from those you don't want to see. You also have to worry about preventing infection in the wounds. So instead of making things better, self harm actually makes them worse. Instead, why not use a healthier thing, like some of these alternatives? They're healthier and safer. You can also do things like writing, art, or music to get out the emotions in a healthy way, or even exercise.

Remember though that these bad times won't last forever. There will always be something that makes all of the bad so much more worthwhile. You can get out of this and come out on top, better for the wear.

-Dez

Closed Thread