TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karen

Can this be considered as SH? - December 5th 2013, 01:26 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I self harm with quite diverse methods, excluding cutting my wrist because the weather in Indonesia is hot all day, and everyone wears short-sleeved tops.

Moving on, I wish to ask a question. You see, one of my SH methods (according to many people, but I don't know) is pricking the skin around my nails on purpose until they bleed. I have been doing this since I was bullied back in middle school, and I eventually become accustomed to the pain and pleasure. Is that considered as SH?

Many people around me see my habit as something creepy, and they think I am a masochist. To me, while doing so, ignorance is a bliss. I want to include a pic of the result after pricking the skin, but I am hesitant.

Articles Team Member // Buddy (20/01/2014 - 30/08/2014) // Associate HLM // Article Editor

Send a message via Skype™ to Konohana Sakuya 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ral. Offline
'ello.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: Can this be considered as SH? - December 5th 2013, 03:30 PM

Hey KW,

Firstly, pictures like you mentioned aren't allowed on the forums as some people may see them as triggering and unpleasant to look at.

I would say your method is indeed a minor method of SH. However it's not really a good way to cope as you're not really getting your emotions out in healthy ways or solving any of the problems you may have that has caused you to want to harm yourself in any way.

I'm going to refer you to this thread on the alternatives to self harm, try some of these out, because in the phase that you're in, these could be really beneficial to help you get out of this whilst you can. This is the link: Alternatives

Stay strong.
~Jack.

PM/VM Me if you need any sort of help, I welcome ANYONE who wants to talk.

"In case you didn't know, dead people don't bleed. If you can bleed, see it, feel it, then you know you're alive. It's irrefutable, undeniable proof. Sometimes I just need a little reminder.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Can this be considered as SH? - December 5th 2013, 08:11 PM

Hi there,

Jack is right that pictures showing self harm aren't allowed on the site, so they would be removed if you post them.

But, this is a method of self harm. Anything that is used to deliberately cause harm to your body, such as picking until you are bleeding can be considered self harm. Even something as minor as intentionally scratching yourself can be considered self harm. It's better to use a healthier, safer way to cope, like one of the alternatives Jack gave you.

I think it would also be a good idea for you to seek help from people like friends, family, or professionals about this. They can help you solve your problems without using pain.

-Dez

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Konohana Sakuya Offline
The 4 arrows stomper
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Karen

Re: Can this be considered as SH? - December 6th 2013, 08:48 AM

I am kind of doubtful about telling my problems to my family. I did that once, and they laughed at me for being an exaggerating wimp. Since then, I never want to tell them my feelings.

I have tried some of the alternatives. They were quite helpful to me, but I still subconsciously prick my finger sometimes, without me noticing it. Despite that, I didn't do that until the blood comes out.

Articles Team Member // Buddy (20/01/2014 - 30/08/2014) // Associate HLM // Article Editor

Send a message via Skype™ to Konohana Sakuya 
Closed Thread