TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fighting-to-Win Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11

Exclamation Hiding cuts or telling parents about self arm? - December 12th 2013, 02:58 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I have been cutting myself for the past two months, which I know isn't that long, but the cuts and scars are deep and noticeable. I've been wearing long sleeves every day, so this hasn't been much of an issue of them being seen. The problem is tough, that I'm going to Florida with my family and extended family I. A couple weeks, and I am going to have to wear short sleeves and swim suits. Is here a way to hide cuts even on upper arm (so no bracelets)? Or if I do tell people that I have cuts on my arms, then my whole extended family will know. That would be humiliating and I'd much rather hide the scars. Help??
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59 Points: 172,204, Level: 59

Re: Hiding cuts or telling parents about self arm? - December 12th 2013, 03:21 AM

Hi there,

I think that it would be at least worth it to tell your parents ahead of time. You don't have to tell your entire family if you don't want to, but at least if you let them know ahead of time they won't force you to do anything that would put you in an awkward position if you don't want to be.

Sit down with them sometime between now and the time you see your extended family. Let them know that you had been really scared to tell them before, but now you feel as if they have to know the truth, and then be as honest with them as possible about it.

Do you have any really light sweaters that you can wear, such as a cardigan? You may be able to use this to cover up some of the cuts.
You could always layer your clothes so there's a light long-sleeved sweater under a short-sleeved shirt and say it's a style thing, or for the healed cuts you can put makeup over them but try not to get it into any open injuries.

You can say something like you can't go swimming because you have your period (assuming you're female), have cramps, or just don't feel well. Or, if there are activities that don't involve wearing a swim suit, try to spend time doing those.

But, hey, if anyone asks you about the self harm injuries, you don't even have to tell them. It's none of their business. Let them know you appreciate their concern but you'd prefer not to talk about it at this time, and if they pry, leave the situation. You do deserve to have fun! Don't let this ruin your vacation.

You probably should try and use this as a motivation to stop self harming though. You don't deserve to worry about hiding your cuts and scars all the time. You deserve to have fun. You also don't deserve to be constantly worrying about wounds getting infected if they are not properly cared for. Also, self harm doesn't really solve your problems but instead makes them worse for the reasons I mentioned, and because the problems come back because you aren't really fixing anything. Instead, maybe use an alternative such as these ones. If one doesn't work, don't get discouraged. One definitely will. Try and find ways to express your emotions, too.

I think you should get support from an adult like a family member, doctor, therapist, guidance counselor, school nurse, teacher, coach, club adviser, religious leader, or someone else you trust. I know it is scary but you don't deserve to go through this alone. You deserve to get all of this out of your system to someone who would probably love to support you and get you to a better place.

You can do this!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread