TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,794, Level: 11 Points: 5,794, Level: 11 Points: 5,794, Level: 11

Exclamation How do I tell my parents that I self harm? - March 15th 2014, 12:59 PM

Hey...I just found this place and I need to ask y'all for advice...I'm leaving today to go to Florida for spring break and I know it will be impossible to hide my cuts/scars (I've been cutting for 3 1/2 years) and I'm paranoid on how I can tell my parents. They haven't figured out yet and I have no idea how they will respond. I've been putting it off but by Wednesday they'll know for sure. We're going swimming with dolphins and we have to wear a short sleeved wetsuit. I'm so scared and I'm completely alone. Please if y'all have any idea or suggestions based on experience.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ginger98 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ginger98

Points: 7,308, Level: 12 Points: 7,308, Level: 12 Points: 7,308, Level: 12

Re: How do I tell my parents that I self harm? - March 15th 2014, 01:46 PM

Hey there! Now I know it isn't going to be easy coming out to your parents about this but it's kinda what you have to do. Hiding is never fun I know. So all you have to do is get your parents alone and just tell them you've been cutting and try to gv them a reason why. Just so they might understand why more. And I'm sure your parents love you and care about you so once you tell them they should at least try to understand, and try to help you with what you're going through! Good luck! Message me if you need to!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
gdheiwmow Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12 Points: 6,828, Level: 12

Re: How do I tell my parents that I self harm? - March 15th 2014, 04:47 PM

Not sure if it can be of any help, but waterproof foundation should do the trick for the most part in hiding some scars. If you can't get any, look for a substitute for something along those lines.

Sorry it's not advice on telling others, but I have not told anyone, so I am inexperienced in that department.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: How do I tell my parents that I self harm? - March 15th 2014, 05:07 PM

Hey there,

I think that it is a good idea for you to tell them before Wednesday, because at least then they'll know how to prepare in advance rather than just having it hit them all at once during your vacation that you are self harming.

One option you have is sitting down with them and talking to them in private. It may help if you plan out what you are going to say before you say it. For example, you can tell them that you have been cutting for 3 1/2 years and wanted to let them know about this before they saw it themselves. They probably will want you to explain to them a bit about why you have been self harming as well. You can print out information on what it means to self harm and what it is like so they have something to gain knowledge off of as well.

Another option is writing a letter to them. This allows you to get everything out without nerves and interruptions getting in the way. They still probably will want to talk to you about it but at least the main ideas are out! I think you should still let them know some of the things I mentioned above, but also maybe anticipate some of the questions they might have so you have less to answer later. Then, either hand them the letter or leave it somewhere they'll find it easily, like the kitchen table or their dresser.

As for how they'll react, honestly that may differ, since every parent is different!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,794, Level: 11 Points: 5,794, Level: 11 Points: 5,794, Level: 11

Re: How do I tell my parents that I self harm? - March 15th 2014, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the advice, we left our house to go to Florida about an hour and a half ago so I didn't discuss it with them before we left. I think I'm going to write a letter because I have major issues with confrontation. I'm not sure when I will have time to get them alone and tell them because I have 3 siblings as well. My older sister knows, she found out last week when she walked in on me changing. But my twin brother is awful towards me and he already calls me a freak because of my music taste. I will attempt to tell them soon.
Closed Thread