TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fighting-to-Win Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11 Points: 6,344, Level: 11

Red face How to tell parents - March 22nd 2014, 08:49 PM

Hi everybody. After my recent relapse, I've finally decided I have no choice but to tell my parents about my SH after 6 full months of keeping it a secret. I've read a lot about how to tell them and what to say, but of course I'm still terrified about how they'll react. So here's what I have planned to say:
-what started the cutting
-why I continue to cut
-triggers
-who knows about the cutting
-other symptoms I have (like change in appetite, inability to concentrate, etc)
-how I don't blame anyone for my cutting
-why they can't take my tools away

Is this everything I need to say? Is there anything else I should include? Any input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful_Mess Offline
Trying to figure my life out..
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Points: 11,791, Level: 15 Points: 11,791, Level: 15 Points: 11,791, Level: 15

Re: How to tell parents - March 22nd 2014, 09:34 PM

Hey.
Uh well I think you got it pretty much covered.
I remember when I told my mom I started SH and had been doing it for 4 whole years and keeping it a secret. Of course she reacted badly but it was only becuz, I was hurting her only daughter that she loved dearly. She did take my tools away...but I always found ways to get new ones (I probably shouldn't have told you that..SORRY) Uh and yeah I know it's scary as hell to finally tell someone about your SH habit.. But sometimes it needs to be done..I kept it a secret for 4 years and if I would've told my family sooner I would've been clean for at least 3 years instead of 2 weeks..Well monday it'll be 3..ANYWAYS..I think no matter how scared you are your doing the right thing by telling your parents..I'm sure they will act harshly but only becuz they love you and care for you...But to answer your question..I think you have everything covered..Soo good luck!

Waiting is a sign of true love and patience,anyone can say "I love you" But not everyone can wait and prove it's true.

Some say it's painful to wait for someone,Some say it's painful to forget someone,But the worst pain comes when you don't know whether to wait or forget.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
mskawrak98 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mo

Points: 6,902, Level: 12 Points: 6,902, Level: 12 Points: 6,902, Level: 12

Re: How to tell parents - March 22nd 2014, 10:48 PM

Hey

I think you're doing the right thing by telling them, as it's better that you tell them about it rather than they find out. I remember when my parents found out about me SH, and they stopped trusting me because I had kept it a secret for so long and hadn't told them. I don't think there's anything else you need to include as you basically cover everything. Like Beth said, they may act harshly on you, but it is better if you tell them yourself rather than they find out about it themselves.

Good Luck

When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: How to tell parents - March 23rd 2014, 12:38 AM

I think that you've covered basically everything you need to here!

They may not know what they can do to help though, so one thing you can do is tell them some things that WILL help you, and some things that WON'T. For example, if you think one thing that will help you is being there to talk without being judged, tell them that. If you think taking away your tools won't help, say that. At least then they'll have something to go by.

If you think they won't understand self harm, you can also print out pamphlets or get other sources of information that will help explain it.

If you think it will be easier you can tell them in the form of a letter so nerves and interruptions won't get in the way.

It is awesome that you want to tell your parents, though, and I hope everything goes well! You are making the right choice here.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: How to tell parents - March 23rd 2014, 12:55 AM

Like everyone has said I think that's it's really great that you want to tell your parent's/ They may have no clue what to do or how to act so I would prepair myself for that. I also think you have pretty much covered but maybe you might want to tell them how you would like them to help and what wouldn't be helpful. But other than that I think you have pretty much everything covered.
Closed Thread