TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MidnightMay Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 11,638, Level: 15 Points: 11,638, Level: 15 Points: 11,638, Level: 15

tattoo to fulfill SH needs - April 17th 2014, 01:49 AM

I have been wanting to start back up and so I am gonna be getting a tattoo tomorrow. I am soooo hoping that it helps like last time! When I get tattoos I usually go awhile without but seeing my family members murder case is about to start I know it will be stressful. I just am so scared and felt this would help. I am not sure its the right thing to do. I already have 4 tattoo unless you count both wrists as two then its 5 but I feel they help.

Is this the wrong way of going about it? I get my pain and it sticks for a few days but I get something I like that is considered ok out of it??

feel free to PM me...

Always keep a smile on your face and Lots of love in you heart! <3

Dont wear a mask and suffocate
take it off and breathe

Earth without ART is just EH...
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,558, Level: 59 Points: 172,558, Level: 59 Points: 172,558, Level: 59

Re: tattoo to fulfill SH needs - April 17th 2014, 01:55 AM

If the tattoo is something you really want, I think that you should get it, but make sure that it is something you really want and you're not doing it just for the sensation or the pain.

On the "Is this self harm?" sticky we have, I saw that tattoos and piercings CAN be included if they are just done for the pain.

But, for you it seems like tattoos are also really meaningful and you are doing it for more than just the sensation. If they're something you really like and if you think that seeing them every day will be a motivation to not self harm, I don't see why you shouldn't. I mean, there are people who get butterflies or other things like that tattooed on them because they're a reminder to not self harm, so why not?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: tattoo to fulfill SH needs - April 17th 2014, 03:57 AM

Tattoos can be used as a form of self harm. I think you have to take some time to decide if you are using this as a form of self harm or if you are doing this as a means of getting something you want. I think as long as this doesn't become a problem, where you are getting excessive tattoos, then you are probably okay.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26 Points: 33,960, Level: 26

Re: tattoo to fulfill SH needs - April 17th 2014, 03:19 PM

I essentially agree with the others. Tattoos can sometimes be an acute form of self-harm, even if they seem like a good alternative. So, it might be helpful to consider whether or not you are doing it for the pain/sensation or whether or not it might be becoming a problem, perhaps a sort of compulsion for getting tattoos.

That being said, it seems like you are getting these tattoos for the reason that they are meaningful to you, so I think what you're doing is okay. Plenty of people get tattoos that are more symbolic of what they've struggled with than anything else, which I think is perfectly fine. I wish you the best!

-Gareth
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount12

Edit avatar

Re: tattoo to fulfill SH needs - April 17th 2014, 10:06 PM

Sorry to hear that you've been stressed out lately. Actually, I think it's good that you're looking for something else to do instead of self-harming in other ways. Although, if you're just doing it for the pain of the tattoo, then it's considered self-harm. Plus, I wouldn't recommend it unless you truly want the tattoo and the tattoo is meaningful to you. Otherwise you might regret it and getting tattoos will become a compulsion that you'll later regret.

If it is for the pain from getting the tattoo, are there any other alternatives you can use to refrain from hurting yourself? Do you have any distractions or hobbies in your life that you can do during all this? Might help to keep your mind off things. You could also take a look at the self-harm alternatives list if you haven't already and try some things on there. There's lots of things on there that cause sensations that may help with urges. Like holding an ice cube on yourself for example. Feel free to PM me if you need.
Closed Thread