TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Karol Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Karol S.

Points: 5,967, Level: 11 Points: 5,967, Level: 11 Points: 5,967, Level: 11

Tattoo...but parents. - February 14th 2015, 03:00 AM

So my best friend just got a tattoo on her wrist. I think it's beautiful and it made me admit to her that I've wanted one for a while. I want a butterfly that says "Survivor" because I want to get it when I stop cutting. Buuuut my parents would flip. They are very against tattoos. I really want one, but I don't want to risk their disapproval because I've already done that in so many areas. Any idea how to get them used to the idea without disowning me? I have a year before I can get it on my own...but still...
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13

Re: Tattoo...but parents. - February 14th 2015, 03:39 AM

Hey there,

I would recommend just talking to them about it. They have their reasons for being against tattoos, and hearing them out would make them see you as more responsible. Try and understand their objections to it (like how it's extremely permanent, how sometimes it's more difficult for people with tattoos to gain employment (in some situations)), and if you still want a tattoo, write out a letter to them that addresses all of that. That might work!

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything!

Kyra
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Online
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,657, Level: 29 Points: 40,657, Level: 29 Points: 40,657, Level: 29

Re: Tattoo...but parents. - February 14th 2015, 05:23 AM

Do your parents know about your struggle with self harm? If they do, try talking to them about your reason for wanting this particular tattoo. Let them know that it would serve as a reminder of all you've been through and of the strength that you possess. Many people who are against tattoos are against the idea of marking your body permanently with something that is not meaningful. Your tattoo, however, would be incredibly meaningful to you. If your parents see that, they might be more accepting of it.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Karol Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Tattoo...but parents. - February 14th 2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckiicloverxx View Post
Hey there,

I would recommend just talking to them about it. They have their reasons for being against tattoos, and hearing them out would make them see you as more responsible. Try and understand their objections to it (like how it's extremely permanent, how sometimes it's more difficult for people with tattoos to gain employment (in some situations)), and if you still want a tattoo, write out a letter to them that addresses all of that. That might work!

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything!

Kyra
I did that a few days ago and there reasons are that it looks ugly when you're older and that the Bible says you're not allowed to. So basically looks and religious standpoints. :/ Really hard to argue with that.

Thank you, though! I'll see if I can write them a letter.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Karol Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Tattoo...but parents. - February 14th 2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst. View Post
Do your parents know about your struggle with self harm? If they do, try talking to them about your reason for wanting this particular tattoo. Let them know that it would serve as a reminder of all you've been through and of the strength that you possess. Many people who are against tattoos are against the idea of marking your body permanently with something that is not meaningful. Your tattoo, however, would be incredibly meaningful to you. If your parents see that, they might be more accepting of it.
My mom knows I struggle with self-harm, but my dad doesn't nor would he understand. Maybe next year I'll have enough guts to tell them why I want one. Thank you so much.
Closed Thread