TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Do teachers have to report self harm to parents if you're over 18? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t135950-do-teachers-have-report-self-harm-parents-if-youre-over-18-a/)

AnnaDaisy January 27th 2015 01:37 PM

Do teachers have to report self harm to parents if you're over 18?

Hi, I'm 19 at a sixth form college in the UK. My personal tutor at college knows that I'm finding things hard to cope with at the minute and he keeps telling me that I can go talk to him about any problems I'm having. I really feel like it would help to tell him about it, he's really approachable and I think he would be understanding about it. I was just wondering whether teachers legally have to report self harm to parents even if I'm over 18?

I would greatly appreciate any advise on the matter, thank you :)

Calaer January 27th 2015 02:18 PM

Re: Do teachers have to report self harm to parents if you're over 18?

Hello there! I'm sorry you are having a hard time right now. :hug: but to answer your question, no. Because you are over the age of 18 he cannot legally tell your parents, though he can report you to the authorities if he believes you are a danger to yourself or others. So that's something to keep in mind. I hope this helps. :) I hope you start to feel better soon!

AnnaDaisy January 27th 2015 02:20 PM

Thank you so much :)

Calaer January 27th 2015 03:31 PM

Not a problem. :)

Riddikulus January 29th 2015 04:30 PM

Hey there,

First of all I'm really sorry you're going through this, it must be difficult for you!
To answer your question, no, as soon as you turn 18 he can't legally tell them. I can however report you to other people depending on how much of a risk he thinks you are to yourself. Usually colleges have some form of support system too.
If you are worried ask him if he's going to tell anyone, legally though he would have to report it if he thought that you were a danger to yourself or others. It's really great that you have someone to talk to though.

If you ever want/need to talk, feel free to PM me.
Take care and stay strong,

Charli :) x

bhanratty February 5th 2015 06:40 PM

It is a tricky subject.
The law says that they don't have to, however they are not subject to anything that restricts them from telling your parents. Also your school will have a policy for this kind of thing and its most likely that involving your parents will be one of these policies. If you don't want your parents to find out only speak to medical staff and counsellors as they will tell nobody without your permission.

Ennui. February 6th 2015 01:27 AM

I don't know how the UK system works since I live in the US, but when I was a sophomore my guidance counselor told me that she once had to report a student who was over eighteen self harming. This is because since they're still in school, if word got out that my guidance counselor KNEW something was going on and didn't report it, if something bad happened she or the school could be held liable.