TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
JeSuisIngenue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,323, Level: 12 Points: 7,323, Level: 12 Points: 7,323, Level: 12

Unhappy Didn't apply for college.. really ashamed of myself. - February 27th 2015, 10:24 PM

I had everything ready on the common app in November, including my essays, but then for some reason I panicked and didn't apply anywhere... Then, when my guidance counselor asked if I sent my applications in, I lied and said I did.
I'm so ashamed of myself. My friends are getting their acceptance letters now and I'm just.. stuck in this cycle.
I'm so afraid of growing up. I'm more or less financially independent, I buy my own groceries, pay rent, etc. But college... I don't understand how anything works. I'm so confused that I'm afraid. My severe ADD isn't helping, either.

I was stuck in this rut for three months and now it's almost the end of the year and I don't know what do to, which scares me even more because, is this how it's always going to be when I'm finally on my own? Brutally confused and then depressed?

if anyone could give me any advice, I'd be so grateful. I'm ridiculously lost and desperate. What have I done????
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: Didn't apply for college.. really ashamed of myself. - February 27th 2015, 10:36 PM

Okay, take a deep breath. Given what you've said, maybe not starting college yet is a good thing. If you really don't feel ready then there's nothing wrong with waiting to start or even not going at all if that's what you eventually decide. Since it sounds like you have some income coming in, there's nothing wrong with working until you figure out what you want to do. I'm also going to suggest professional help because you don't always have to be afraid of growing up, scared and depressed. They can even help with the ADHD and there might be some willing to work on a sliding scale if you're worried about affording it.

Also, I've been through community college, 4 year college, and most of a graduate school program and will probably be going back to attempt another masters program (the 1st one didn't work out) I've also lived both at home and on-campus with and without roommates (but not any off-campus apartments) so if you have any questions feel free to ask me anything. Also, If you do decide to go to college and you have an ADHD diagnosis by a professional, you're entitled to academic accommodations, but can choose not to accept them.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JeSuisIngenue Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,323, Level: 12 Points: 7,323, Level: 12 Points: 7,323, Level: 12

Re: Didn't apply for college.. really ashamed of myself. - February 27th 2015, 10:43 PM

Ok... thank you. That did help.

I do have one question though: what about my transcripts? Will my school send them to me at the end of the year? Do I have to ask for them..?

I might go to community college for the first two years, and get my prerequisites done. But what the hell are prerequisites? And can I transfer the credit or is that a bad idea?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: Didn't apply for college.. really ashamed of myself. - February 27th 2015, 11:24 PM

Transcripts: Your school will keep your transcripts and they will need to be sent from your school to the college(s) directly. If you're still in school you can ask the guidance office secretary and there will probably be a form to fill out. Once you graduate, you can call the guidance office and ask for them to be sent and to where and there might be a small fee. Mine was 4 or 5 dollars, if you haven't graduated yet they will send them for free.

Core prerequisites, and major courses: This is confusing for some people, no worries. If you go to community college you will likely be taking what most colleges call "core courses" these are classes that every undergraduate student has to take regardless of what they want a degree in and taking them at community college can save you a lot of money.

Major: Your major is the group of specific courses that you have to take in order to get your degree in something so in addition to what everyone needs, you take courses required for your major.

Prerequisites: Some courses, (mostly your major courses) will require prerequisites, these are classes that you have to complete before you can take a different class. So, for example, you would need to take Principles of Psychology (the basic overview of the subject) before you took Psychology of Learning (more specific area within the same subject). It's just to make sure you have a basic overview of something before you take a class that's more detailed so you aren't completely lost.

Transferring: Transferring is a great idea as long as you make sure that what ever school you transfer to will take the classes you have. For undergrads this isn't usually a problem since every school has versions of the core courses. It could become an issue with major courses (the school I transferred to had a weird rule about only accepting transfer credit for a certain amount of your major courses), but most places you would be okay.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Closed Thread