TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   School saw my cuts (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t136637-school-saw-my-cuts/)

Kallie Biersack March 1st 2015 03:18 AM

School saw my cuts

Some kid at school saw my scars/cuts and reported it to the councillor. She said she wouldn't tell my mom but then my gym teacher saw them as well and now I'm really scared that my mom will find out. I haven't cut in almost 2 weeks but the scars are still visible and I just don't want to stress my mom out with this. What do I do? Please help

Pirouette March 1st 2015 05:29 AM

Re: School saw my cuts

Hey there,

I understand that you are feeling stressed about this situation. I too, have been in a similar situation a couple of years ago and from my personal experience, the best thing to do is be honest about it. I know there will be people that will tell you to make up a story about how you got those scars since that's what also happened to me and I personally think that's not a good idea since it may raise doubts/suspicion depending on what the scars look like.

I think you should open up to your counselor about it who said that she wouldn't tell your mom about it. Its also a great first step in recovering from this and I also believe that it will benefit you in the long run. Its good that you haven't cut in 2 weeks, but I also believe at the same time that you can heal faster if you open up about it with someone such as your counselor.

As for your gym teacher- I will advise you to talk to your counselor about it and let her know that you are concerned about your gym teacher knowing about this. Often times if you tell your counselor, she may tell your gym teacher not to tell your mom or anyone about it but I can't be a 100% about this.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best! :hug:

hocus pocus March 1st 2015 08:39 PM

I agree with Rishy in that you should consider opening up to your counselor. Talking about your self-harm can be really hard, but it'll lift a weight off your shoulders and enable you to get the support you deserve. You don't have to go through this alone and hopefully your counselor will be able to offer you some needed support. Did your gym teacher say anything about your scars? If they didn't say anything they might not have reported it. You can talk to your gym teacher to tell them that your counselor is aware, though. Or you can speak to your counselor about this.

It's great to hear that you haven't cut in almost two weeks! I suggest taking a look at the alternatives thread so you have a resource to take a look at if you experience more urges.

Kindred March 1st 2015 09:28 PM

Your mom would probably rather hear from you than the school. Consider talking to her, I know that's probably not what you want to hear. If you really don't think it's beneficial for your mom to know about this, you could mention to the counselor or teacher that you'll seek treatment for it from a professional and that you don't think it's in your best interests for them to tell your mom. Just a thought. Maybe they'll take your opinion into consideration, but in some cases it's just a matter of child protection and laws.