TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

not sure how to cover it. - March 9th 2015, 12:19 AM

It isn't a huge deal but my cousin is getting married and her wedding is march 15th. It won't be big and it will take place at a cafe. Also, some family members might not come because her husband is not Jewish and they're weirdos and close minded. Which means the people who would have bothered me might not even be there.
However, it is getting warmer a bit and I don't think I'm going yo be able to buy anything new. I'm going yo choose between three dresses I already have, and there's one of them that is sleeveless so I will wear a shirt underneath I think...not sure. But I have done that in the past. I basically wear that one dress to every fancy occasion xD

I got it planned out that I wear a shirt underneath instead of a fancy jacket over the dress because if it gets hot people will tell me to take off my jacket but if the shirt is underneath I can roll up my sleeves to the amount I want to show and hopefully it will work.
What I'm really worried about are my legs. I despise see through tights but I don't know if it will even help. I need help to cover my lower legs, below my knees. I'm wearing flats for shoes.

Maybe I'm thinking too much in terms of clothing. I heard there's creams and such. I put some weird Shea butter and I'm not sure if it even made a difference. It looks sort of like a cut that you might get from shaving your legs, except my legs aren't shaved so I can't even make that excuse -.- plus there are many of them and in relationship yo each other, they look like not an accident.
Basically looking for ideas. I'm already super awkward in those kinds of situations and I'm only going because I like that particular cousin.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: not sure how to cover it. - March 9th 2015, 05:28 AM

I know you said you're not fond of tights, but you might want to consider getting a pair of panty hose. You can probably get them at your local drug store and I don't think they're too expensive. I know CVS has them if you have a CVS where you live. A few years ago, I had to wear a dress for a formal occasion and a nude pair of panty hose saved me.

I hope you're able to work something out!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: not sure how to cover it. - March 9th 2015, 09:05 PM

That makes sense! I guess I'll get some in the end if I have to. So from your experience they did work....that's good. I just don't want to go out and buy them and find out they're so transparent that it didn't make a difference with covering it. However it might give an illusion that they're faded or something like that.
Thanks for the reply!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: not sure how to cover it. - March 10th 2015, 01:02 AM

Hey,

You could also try wearing concealer over your scars. If you're not a fan of see-through tights, you could try black or dark blue ones. Those would probably cover it better.

Good luck

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Karol Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Karol S.

Re: not sure how to cover it. - March 10th 2015, 03:52 AM

Hey! I completely know how you're feeling. It can be kind of scary to think about people seeing your cuts! I've used concealer and it works really well. Another good idea is to mix sugar and vitamin E oil together and use it as a daily scrub. It has reduced my scars and cuts to very tiny and hardly visible. It takes a while, but I do it twice a day and so far it's been amazing.
Hope some of this helped!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: not sure how to cover it. - March 10th 2015, 04:40 AM

Hey.

I personally find that tights can be really beneficial. I know depending on the length of the skirt/dress I'm wearing I will either wear a pair of black or nude tights or I will use makeup to cover up. I use this which helps a lot! Although, every person is slightly different and it may not actually cover yours but for me? If I use it, it will cover up the scars on my legs for the most part (they aren't noticeable if unless you look really closely) and it's waterproof.

I hope you manage to figure something out!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: not sure how to cover it. - March 14th 2015, 12:37 PM

It might match to wear black tights with my dress so I might go with that. I would have to check the weather and decide though. Unless I could find sheer black or nude. Will go to the store today probably. Thanks all of you <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: not sure how to cover it. - March 14th 2015, 03:17 PM

Forget this, I'm not going. I can't go. In getting too anxious about the what ifs, whether it shows or not or whether going will trigger me in itself.

Last edited by Not_here; March 14th 2015 at 03:34 PM.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: not sure how to cover it. - March 15th 2015, 12:21 AM

Hey there,

Try and calm down. I know how intimidating it can be to have to go to a wedding and have scars. I think that the tights are a good idea. I know I have some scars on my legs and I have used tights to hide them. I think that is your safest bet. In all honesty I am going to tell you to try not to worry about people seeing your scars. I was in two weddings and I had to deal with people seeing my scars. In one wedding I wore a jacket that covered my scars to a certain extent but they were still visible. I was really self conscious about it but I did it because my brother wanted me there. It went off without a hitch. Most people ignored my scars. There was really only one person who made an act to try and see my scars. At my other brothers wedding I didn't do anything to cover the scars on my arms. I tried but it turned out there wasn't anything available and so it was easier to go without. I was self conscious but no one made a comment.

The fact is that if people choose to make comments about it you can respond with "It was in my past." Or something nonchalant. Even if it isn't in your past that isn't their business.

I really hope that this helped in some way and I hope that you got this in time.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: not sure how to cover it. - March 15th 2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:BreakingBeautifully:. View Post
Hey there,

Try and calm down. I know how intimidating it can be to have to go to a wedding and have scars. I think that the tights are a good idea. I know I have some scars on my legs and I have used tights to hide them. I think that is your safest bet. In all honesty I am going to tell you to try not to worry about people seeing your scars. I was in two weddings and I had to deal with people seeing my scars. In one wedding I wore a jacket that covered my scars to a certain extent but they were still visible. I was really self conscious about it but I did it because my brother wanted me there. It went off without a hitch. Most people ignored my scars. There was really only one person who made an act to try and see my scars. At my other brothers wedding I didn't do anything to cover the scars on my arms. I tried but it turned out there wasn't anything available and so it was easier to go without. I was self conscious but no one made a comment.

The fact is that if people choose to make comments about it you can respond with "It was in my past." Or something nonchalant. Even if it isn't in your past that isn't their business.

I really hope that this helped in some way and I hope that you got this in time.
I couldn't do that but you got quite the courage. I think I figured out what I'll wear. It's only a few hours long this evening. I think I'll be okay and just run through it. My shirt is three quarter lengths and it shows very slightly. If I move too much it will show. I guess I'll just deal with it and be careful not to move too much.
Thanks all of you <3

Closed Thread