TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
C.Pag Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Connor

Don't know what to do - March 16th 2015, 12:52 PM

I was really happy with the progress that I was making with not cutting. I'd made a couple of months scare free because I promised my girlfriend that I wouldnt do it any more and I would find a new way of calming myself down. But my grandma recently passed away from cancer and I really needed a way out of being so distracted and angry and frustrated all the time that I cut my wrist under where I wear my watch seven times. I feel terrible for cutting and I feel terrible for betraying my girlfriend. I just don't know how to handle it. I've been slipping behind on school work and everything. I just need something to get by. And I really don't know what to say to my girlfriend either. Any suggestions would be great...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Don't know what to do - March 16th 2015, 08:40 PM

Hi there,

I'm really sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how you must feel right now.

A few months cut free is wonderful! Every second that you go without self-harm is amazing, and I hope you're proud of yourself for staying free for so long. Please try to remember that your progress is still there. And, if anything, this relapse shows that you're capable of going a long time without cutting. Recovery is a long learning process and I know that you can do this!

What kind of alternatives have you been using? Here is a big list to take a look at. Try a little bit at a time until you find a handful that work for you as it's easier to have a lot of alternatives to help replace a negative behavior. You're going through a lot right now, so please talk to someone about how you're feeling or at least find a way to express your feelings whether that's through self-expression, journaling, or blogging.

Some people find that promises regarding self-harm don't work for them, and that's okay. Promising to not self-harm might be making you feel worse for giving in, which can in turn add to the cycle of self-harm because it could make you feel like doing it again. Instead of promising your girlfriend that you won't self-harm, perhaps you can promise that you'll go to her or use some alternatives first? That way you don't feel like you're betraying her, because you're not. Maybe you can talk to your girlfriend when she's in a good mood and let her know that you recently relapsed and explain why you felt like doing it. It might help to let her know that you don't want her to feel disappointed in you and she may be able to reassure you a little bit.

Feel free to let me know if you need anything!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
C.Pag Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Connor

Re: Don't know what to do - March 16th 2015, 08:59 PM

Thanks for giving me a better way of going about this.
I didn't realise how making a promise about this could put more pressure on me :/. So far I've only been holding ice in my hand just as another alternative but I only just realised that I stopped that a while ago too.
Thanks again for the help.

Closed Thread