TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Unhappy I could use some help... - March 19th 2015, 07:45 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Helloooo... So, er, I have an issue. I self-harm by scratching/pinching myself (normally on my chest, neck, leg, and rib area) and sometimes by pulling my hair out.. I know I shouldn't, and I keep telling myself that over and over again. I know that if anyone knew that I did this would probably be hurt by it. That kinda makes it worse, as I tend to do it when I'm stressed, depressed, and ashamed/embarrassed. I've also been having some suicidal thoughts. I even have some plans.. I've tried doing the list of things in that alternative thread, though most of them either weren't interesting to me, didn't work, or I couldn't do. I wish everything could just stand still for a bit..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Re: I could use some help... - March 19th 2015, 12:19 PM

I want you to tell me your story.. as in what has happened in your life that made you feel this way. These are feelings that can only be caused by long-term suffering, and people must have said some pretty mean things which have hurt you in a way. No planning .. and no hurting either. You deserve better than to hurt yourself in this manner... and there's other better ways for you to rant out your feelings... like a diary, or maybe telling your friends some of the problems you're going through.. and also tell them your anguish.

You deserve better than to feel this way. And you deserve to be blessed with happiness, not hurt yourself. You've got all of us and we won't abandon you.. that i can promise.

Talk to me anytime! stay safe, and remember that you're worth it.. worth the effort, worth the care, worth the love because you're a special individual that's entirely your own. Fight !

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 19th 2015, 08:10 PM

There isn't really a story to it.. I guess having an autistic brother could have something to do with it? I love him to death, though it can be pretty rough when he's in a bad mood. He'd scratch and hit me quite a bit when we were younger, so maybe my body's craving the pain again? I don't know. I'm also cyber-bullied a bit so maybe that has something to do with it. I also don't really have any friends to talk about this stuff to. All my real life friends moved, and most of my friends online wouldn't know what to do or don't care about it. *sigh* I guess I'd rather feel something else instead of emotions. Thank you for caring, by the way c:

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bre :3

Re: I could use some help... - March 20th 2015, 02:52 AM

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling this way Crystal. My name is Bre, and I honestly can say I know how it is to feel this way. I've had an autistic brother too and it can be hard when they get in bad moods. Mine at one point became physical towards me, and it really scarred me. I've dealt with self harm due to it too, but the thing is that isn't a solution to this. Have you tried talking to your parents about how you feel with this? Sometimes the best thing to do is talk, it releases the stress that you've been holding in. Pinching and scratching will only leave a temporary feeling of release. I know things may seem tough for now but they will get better okay? Hang in there and stay strong. If you ever need to talk to someone who will understand, I'm here with PMs and VMs always open for you.

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE
08/07/14 Social Networking Team

She walks away the colors fade to grey. - Black Keys

Keep your head up, you're only one grey day away from sunshine.

10/15/2015- The day he came into my life and made it all okay.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 20th 2015, 06:01 AM

I want to talk to them about it, but when I tried to talk to them about suicidal thoughts a few weeks ago they reacted kinda badly. It made me feel really weird and uncomfortable. I can imagine how they'd react with stuff like this. Plus, I don't want to bug them.

I don't really think my autistic brother (His name is Seth) is really the cause of it. Yeah, it can be stressful sometimes, but I know he doesn't really mean it. I don't really know the cause of it. I guess I'm strange and like pain.. My mom even said people who liked pain were strange... Thank you for caring Bre..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I could use some help... - March 20th 2015, 06:47 AM

Parents don't always have the best reactions at first, and I can definitely see why you're hesitant to tell them how you feel again. Parents are often upset about the situation that their children are in, but not at their children themselves. Conversation about mental health is a little bit newer and parents didn't discuss this sort of thing when they were our age. Perhaps you can print out some articles to show them. I think you should consider telling them how you're feeling again and maybe you can let them know how they can help you get through all of this. If you don't want to tell them verbally, you can write a note, too.

Even though having an autistic brother might not cause you to self-harm, it's definitely a stressor that you have to live with everyday. While you love your brother, it's okay to be upset by him, especially when he isn't in the best mood. Do you know of any other things in your daily life that you find upsetting? You might benefit from keeping a blog or a journal and you can identify your triggers in that way too.

I don't think that people who like pain are strange. People usually like pain because they've experienced it at a young age and they become used to it, or because it provides a distraction and something for them to tend to. Self-harm releases endorphins (chemicals that make you feel happier) and that could be why you turn to it so often. You aren't strange. You're just a human being that's struggling right now and struggling with something makes you more human.

Even though you didn't find any alternatives that you liked, I'm glad you tried the alternatives thread out. Are you into crafts? Maybe you can consider making a calming jar. They're a lot of fun to make!

Let me know if you need anything.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 20th 2015, 07:56 AM

The only to things I can think of is when I'm talking to my mom about a certain topic (From nervousness and that fun stufd) and when my dad makes jokes about me. I know he doesn't mean any of it, but it still kinda hurts, y'know? That's all the triggers I can really think of. Also, that calming jar is very pretty c:

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Re: I could use some help... - March 20th 2015, 03:25 PM

Well then maybe you could tell your dad not to do it. i also recommend making a diary, or doing a "good things i did " list in order to remind yourself.. you're awesome. Think positively and don't ever think of yourself as inadequate. you ARE adequate in every way.

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 20th 2015, 08:49 PM

Thank you screw, I'll try asking my dad to stop and I'll start keeping a diary.

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 21st 2015, 08:27 PM

You are not strange, sometimes we as human think that pain is a way to cope when it's not. I'd suggest talking to someone who you know will be there for you a friend, teacher, school counselor , etc. And the diary thing isn't a bad idea. Write down what's happened when you want to self harm, how you feel, and more. Just vent to it, it helps to let things out. I'm always here for you if you ever need to talk okay?

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 21st 2015, 09:34 PM

I'll be sure to PM you if I need anything Bre <3 I'm currently homeschooled, so I can't really talk to a school counselor or a teacher. Most of my friends moved away. The two that haven't are Jeremy and Jackson, Jackson is really young, I don't want to confuse him, and I don't think Jeremy would understand all that well. I'm scared and ashamed to tell my family about it. I feel sorta stuck.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 21st 2015, 10:40 PM

Don't be ashamed to ask for help. Life is about learning to ask and give help. Your family loves you, and they would want to be able to help you. As a guy once said "it's ok to ask for help" I hope you'll find someone to talk to.

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 21st 2015, 11:06 PM

I'm not really ashamed to ask for it, I'm ashamed for hurting myself. I don't want to make them sad or angry, or even ashamed at themselves or me. I don't even know how to tell them :/

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 22nd 2015, 04:35 AM

We are human we do things that make us feel ashamed, but we learn from things too. Your family loves you and I'm sure will want to be there to support you. I can't and won't force you to talk to them but if you do decide you want to here's an article on how to talk your loved ones about self harm: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f78-s...arm-loved-one/ stay strong and know I'm here<3

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 22nd 2015, 05:04 AM

Thank you so much Bre

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Re: I could use some help... - March 22nd 2015, 06:35 AM

and be sure to pm me for anything too. I'll always be here! How's that diary move going?

screwdriverneedsgas

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 22nd 2015, 06:39 AM

I will It's going good, I found 5 triggers and it's helping me figure out what all I'm feeling. C:

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Re: I could use some help... - March 22nd 2015, 07:27 AM

good remember to think positively .. know that you can overcome your situation and you will overcome it.

screwdriverneedsgas

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 22nd 2015, 07:36 AM

I hate myself. I slipped when I promised myself I wouldn't. I hate breaking promises. I hate this meat suit prison I'm in.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Re: I could use some help... - March 22nd 2015, 09:46 AM

dont blame yourself. Sometimes , the burden can get too much. But what matters is that you can stand back up again when you fall.

We won't abandon you.. i promise!

screwdriverneedsgas

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 23rd 2015, 12:33 AM

I guess so. I'm really sorry I got ticked off at myself.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Re: I could use some help... - March 23rd 2015, 05:12 AM

you're forgivens.

screwdriverneedsgas

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 23rd 2015, 06:45 AM

You aren't perfect sweetie. I've relapsed myself at times, but you're trying that's what matters okay? You're fighting the fight and you're strong remember this okay? You've got this, and we're here to help you.

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Re: I could use some help... - March 23rd 2015, 06:50 AM

the same goes for me... you need to forgive yourself. forget the past if it's bad.. no use dwelling on what's already happened. you'll improve from here on !

screwdriverneedsgas

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I could use some help... - March 25th 2015, 05:34 AM

I swear to the damn Creator if there is one I'm going insane. I went one damn day without harming myself. Not even a day. Half a day. I got so close to breaking a bone. So close to using an actual knife. Glad I didn't, I probably would've taken it way to far.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Re: I could use some help... - March 25th 2015, 06:11 PM

i'm proud of you for your restraint.. i know that better days will come. You know that i'm always here , right? I dont know just how badly you've had it in the past... but you won't have to think about it anymore... your future will be bright and happy.

screwdriverneedsgas

Closed Thread