TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Points: 7,617, Level: 12 Points: 7,617, Level: 12 Points: 7,617, Level: 12

How to tell parents I've been self-injuring? - April 10th 2015, 06:15 AM

Hi! So, I've been wanting to tell my dad about my self-injuring habit through an email, and I was wondering what stuff I should include in it and what I should leave out. I don't want to overwhelm him with information hehe.

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13 Points: 8,431, Level: 13

Re: How to tell parents I've been self-injuring? - April 10th 2015, 08:38 AM

Hey there Crystal,

It's great that you've decided to let someone close to you know!

As for what should be in the email, it really depends on what you think he would be comfortable with. Though I think the bare minimum would be a safe bet, if you're not sure with what he would be able to handle. Something that he would want to know is the reason for your self-injuring, because it may make it easier for him to understand.

Oh and also include what you hope he can help you with. Like is this an email for him to just know about it or would you like some emotional support?

I hope this helped,

Kyra
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: How to tell parents I've been self-injuring? - April 11th 2015, 12:27 AM

Hey there,

I think it's great you want to tell your dad about this. I know that opening up to people about your self harm can be difficult. But, I honestly think it could be a really good thing.

I don't think there is anything specific you need to tell him. I think you should tell him what you feel comfortable telling him. If all you want to tell him is that you are struggling with self harm then so be it. But, if you want you could include some ways he can support you such as finding you a counselor or someone else to talk to. You could also explain some of the reasons that you self harm. I think that is one of the biggest things my parents wanted to know when they found out I was cutting. They understood it to a certain extent but I helped clarify why I did it and it helped them a bit.

It might help if you link him to information about self harm. Read the sources and pick the ones you like the most or find most accurate and would be beneficial to your dad.

I hope this helped and best of luck.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How to tell parents I've been self-injuring? - April 11th 2015, 01:57 AM

I'm glad to hear that you want to reach out to your dad!

Like it was already said, I think you should tell him what you're comfortable with telling him. I personally think it is better to tell parents the bare minimum at first because this is a lot to absorb and your dad is probably going to have a lot of questions as it is. I agree with telling him what he can do to help you, as well as the reasons why you self-harm. Perhaps you can tell him how long you've been doing it, too. I think providing him with some articles could be a good idea.

Let us know how it goes!

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How to tell parents I've been self-injuring? - April 11th 2015, 04:07 AM

Thank you all so much! I just sent him an email. I hope he reacts well to it.. I assume he will. How has your parents reacted to finding out you've been hurting yourselves?

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: How to tell parents I've been self-injuring? - April 12th 2015, 05:18 PM

Let us know how it went!

Most parents don't have the best of reactions, often because they're from a different generation and it's a lot to take in. Bear in mind that your dad probably needs some time to think through everything.

My parents didn't react very well, and part of that was because they found out through the school before they heard it from me. A few years ago, a counselor thought I was hurting myself but my body was healed and I denied it. A few years afterwards, they found out again and I had to go to the nurse to get it looked at. My parents were not happy with me. Shortly after, I had to go back again, and this time, they just didn't say anything to me at all. My parents were unaware of the causes for my self-harm, and they didn't find out until a year or two later. I was put in therapy but I didn't find a therapist that I click with until recently. Now that they know the reasons behind my self-harm and my other struggles, they're supportive about things. I generally give them the least amount of information that I can. I'll say I had a rough night or a nightmare, but I don't ever go into detail. If I'm not hiding my emotions in front of them, they generally know that something is wrong regardless of whether or not I tell them.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How to tell parents I've been self-injuring? - April 13th 2015, 03:46 AM

Thankfully, it went pretty well. We talked a bit through email until I was comfortable with speaking "in the real world". Turns out both of my parents used to harm themselves. My mom only did it once though. I felt horrible and anxious at first, but I feel a bit better now

Closed Thread