TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Recovery Stories Recovery can be a long and difficult path, and we may forget to rejoice in our accomplishments. Share your recovery stories here, from self harm, to drug, or alcohol addictions, and anything else you are proud of.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Talking I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 1st 2014, 11:32 AM

Hello everyone! Oh wow I type this and realise my font and colour choice is still the same! Oh my goodness me!

I first came on here about October 2009, when I began restricting what I ate - and I must have left here sometime in 2011 - after being in hospital!
WOW lots has happened! I am now a month off being 20 years old but I have had the rockiest last five years I tell you. When I first came on in 2009, I was at the very very beginning of something I did not realise would steal so much of my life. And I am writing this to you because I think there will be people in my position and maybe if I can just try and convince one person to seek help, then this post is not a waste.

I was diagnosed (anorexia nervosa) in February 2010, and 2010 consisted of weekly bloods, weigh ins and vital checks, also weekly counselling, fortnightly dietician appointments and monthly ECGs. December 1st 2010 my weight was so dangerously low I was admitted for a medical stay in the Childrens Hospital, NG tube placed in, a heap of food and 2.5 weeks later I was discharged, and discharged from all treatment December 14th 2011.
2012 was my last year of high school, and in January 2013, a trip to Australia saw my very lowest weight ever and well into 'extreme' anorexia. By November 2013, my weight had climbed a bit, but I no longer wanted Anorexia - and I realised that to study Nursing in 2014 I had to be well. So, since December 2013, I have entered recovery full steam ahead. I have nearly doubled in weight actually since my lowest, had to reach a nearly overweight BMI to finally be happy, have my periods return and start to see the mental side of the illness abate.

I say, I am 95% recovered. I still sometimes wish I had stayed so small, but then I wouldn't be living the life I am now. I am happy, I am socializing again, getting all my friends back and making new ones. What you don't realise with anorexia is that it keeps you stuck in one point of life, all your friends move on, and what I notice is now I am still mentally a 15 year old. I have a long long way to come now to catch up. I don't know how to use tampons, I just brought my first bra, I have never had a boyfriend, I have gone to a dressy event possibly three times in my life, all my friends are flatting yet I am still so dependent on my mum....im nearly 20 years old!

I have learned so much, and when I graduate I want to work with children and teens with anorexia - because I know recovery is possible. I have made so many new friends through facebook support groups - and when I think about it, I wouldn't change my journey for the world. But I was one of the lucky ones, I pulled through unscathed. There is no guarantee your journey will be as medically stable as mine. Don't waste five years of your life, or more, because some people are left with life-long disabilities...and they do regret their journey.
Remember, anorexia will not win in the end. You will have to gain weight or you will die. You can choose to gain the weight yourself, or do it in hospital but one day you will be caught out.

I wish you all the best, and I hope to stick around to put what I know to good use. Pleased to be back a much healthier and more mature person

Emma
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvia Offline
Average Joe

Name: Silvia

Points: 8,023, Level: 13 Points: 8,023, Level: 13 Points: 8,023, Level: 13

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 1st 2014, 01:07 PM

Hi Emma,

your story is really inspiring and I hope it is helpful for whomever may read it
You are a brave person not only for all you have overcome but also for sharing this with everyone else, keep strong and thank you so much for your encouraging experience.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 1st 2014, 04:14 PM

Hi Emma.

I remember you from a few years ago. I'm so glad to see how well you're doing and very proud of the steps you're taking in your recovery. You're right, it's not easy, and getting out of that frame of mind is possibly the hardest thing you will ever have to do. But it is so worth it for the life you have waiting for you. I'm sure your experiences will be a great asset in giving advice here and I hope you do stick around to help out - we can always use more friends!
I hope you continue strong on your journey and keep fighting, you're worth the battle!

Take care of yourself, and well done.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20 Points: 19,786, Level: 20

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 1st 2014, 05:06 PM

I remember seeing you around some. Congratulations on taking the steps to being in recovery. That's incredible! I know that with your strength and determination, you're going to continue being successful. Take care! I'm around if you need anything at all.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 1st 2014, 05:15 PM

Hey Emma, welcome back!

I remember you from before and I'm really happy that recovery is going well for you, I hope (and I'm sure it will) it continues

I look forward to seeing you around the site again
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Points: 20,518, Level: 20 Points: 20,518, Level: 20 Points: 20,518, Level: 20

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 1st 2014, 05:43 PM

EMMMMMMMMAAAA!

oh my goodness. First of all your story is very inspiring. I am so happy for you, and so happy that you have come so far, and that you are getting your life back to where you wanted to be. Don't ever loose sight of those dreams.

I think that it is wonderful that you want to work with people with Ana because you have been through that struggle. I went into social work for similar reasons. I knew what I had been through and I knew that I wanted to change that in other people's lives or at least make it bearable.

Let's catch up sometime
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 1st 2014, 07:46 PM

I remember seeing you around. I am glad that you are in recovery. Reading your story was pretty inspiring. I hope to see you around the forums and maybe we'll even get to chat a bit.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 1st 2014, 08:14 PM

Yay! ^____^ That's great news <333 I remember you

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 1st 2014, 09:15 PM

Oh my gosh thanks to everyone for your responses I will definitely stick around and for all those who want a catch up feel free to send a PM sometime I love a good chat!
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 2nd 2014, 01:30 AM

I remember you Emma. I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well and you have mostly recovered from your eating disorder. I can imagine that it wasn't easy, and I'm very proud of you! I hope to see you around here again!

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 3rd 2014, 01:17 PM

Hey Emma! Your story is so inspiring and I am so glad that you are doing so well. I am honestly amazed by how your story reminded me of one of my best friends (she's still trying to recover though) and I pray that she will be able to come through as happy and healthy with everything as you have been able to! I will look forwards to seeing you around and feel free to PM me when ever, I'd love to chat

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 6th 2014, 11:43 AM

Pug Princess and Always - thankyou so much for your comments

Always aww I really hope your friend gets better soon!! Sometimes it seems that recovery will just never happen, but then its like a switch was flicked and you start seeing major improvements, not even physically straight away but personality and all that jazz she'll get there!!
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount13

Edit avatar

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 6th 2014, 11:26 PM

Welcome back, Emma! Thanks for posting this, your story is so inspiring. I'm sure it'll help lots of people here that are currently recovering from an eating disorder. I'm really glad that you're doing so well. You've come so far and I hope that you continue to do this well. Just remember that if you ever need further support on recovery, you can always post here. You're free to PM me as well if you need someone to listen.

You should be really proud of yourself as this is quite a big accomplishment.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I AM BACK After FIVE Years! Some GREAT News! AN Recovery Win! - August 14th 2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala. View Post
Welcome back, Emma! Thanks for posting this, your story is so inspiring. I'm sure it'll help lots of people here that are currently recovering from an eating disorder. I'm really glad that you're doing so well. You've come so far and I hope that you continue to do this well. Just remember that if you ever need further support on recovery, you can always post here. You're free to PM me as well if you need someone to listen.

You should be really proud of yourself as this is quite a big accomplishment.
Thanks so much Nala
Closed Thread