TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Snapping a Rubber Band or Hair Tye - May 3rd 2015, 05:18 AM

Is it just me who thinks that isn't such a great idea to tell people to do? I mean more than not it actually turns into a self-harm technique were you snap it till you bruise or it cuts you. I just think if your going to offer that as advice just warn them it might become a sh technique after all.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Snapping a Rubber Band or Hair Tye - May 3rd 2015, 06:00 AM

I think it really depends on the individual. Some people will use it as a way to self-harm while others may not. It just depends on the individual person and what they're going through to make them feel like harming themselves. I see no problem offering those ideas as alternatives, however, I don't usually recommend them unless I explain that rubber band snapping isn't for everyone.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Snapping a Rubber Band or Hair Tye - May 3rd 2015, 06:11 AM

Hey Frankie.

You have made a good point. I think there is a fine line when using a rubber band or a hair tie. It's a way to wean yourself from other methods, similar to a nicotine patch or methadone for heroine addiction, etc. But I would consider it self harm if you are doing it to the point of injuring yourself. I guess my point is that it can be helpful to some people but to others it may trigger them more.

It also depends on the individual because what may be helpful to one, may not be for someone else. If they need to feel some sort of sensation there is other methods like hold an ice cube or clapping your hands which are better than using an elastic in some sense because they are safer. I would usually quote the Alternative Thread and mention a few other options because it has a list of alternatives which can be used to give a sensation without harming yourself. And can be used instead of an elastic:
Quote:
Hold ice in your hands, against your arm, or in your mouth
Run your hands under freezing cold water
Snap a rubber band or hair band against your wrist
Clap your hands until it stings
Wax your legs
Drink freezing cold water
Splash your face with cold water
Put PVA/Elmer's glue on your hands then peel it off
Massage where you want to hurt yourself
Take a hot shower/bath
Jump up and down to get some sensation in your feet
Write or paint on yourself
Arm wrestle with a member of your family
Take a cold bath
Bite into a hot pepper or chew a piece of ginger root
Rub liniment under your nose
Put tiger balm on the places you want to cut. (Tiger balm is a muscle relaxant cream that induces a tingly sensation. You can find it in most health food stores and vitamin stores.)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Snapping a Rubber Band or Hair Tye - May 3rd 2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico. View Post
I think it really depends on the individual. Some people will use it as a way to self-harm while others may not. It just depends on the individual person and what they're going through to make them feel like harming themselves. I see no problem offering those ideas as alternatives, however, I don't usually recommend them unless I explain that rubber band snapping isn't for everyone.
I'm fine if you stae like you said to be careful and the risk it can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexify. View Post
Hey Frankie.

You have made a good point. I think there is a fine line when using a rubber band or a hair tie. It's a way to wean yourself from other methods, similar to a nicotine patch or methadone for heroine addiction, etc. But I would consider it self harm if you are doing it to the point of injuring yourself. I guess my point is that it can be helpful to some people but to others it may trigger them more.

It also depends on the individual because what may be helpful to one, may not be for someone else. If they need to feel some sort of sensation there is other methods like hold an ice cube or clapping your hands which are better than using an elastic in some sense because they are safer. I would usually quote the Alternative Thread and mention a few other options because it has a list of alternatives which can be used to give a sensation without harming yourself. And can be used instead of an elastic:
I agree with that too. As long as you warn a person of what could happen it's fine. But when you don't warn them is when I'm not okay with suggesting the idea.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Snapping a Rubber Band or Hair Tye - May 3rd 2015, 07:44 AM

As Cassie and Lexi have said, it really just depends on the individual person. There are a number of alternatives that will cause pain, but are shared with every intention of reducing or eliminating self harm. It goes back to the idea that not every alternative works for everyone. If a person is going to use such an alternative to continue self harming, it isn't the right one for them to be using.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread