TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   my parents found out (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t138476-my-parents-found-out/)

stardust May 21st 2015 01:31 AM

my parents found out

my parents found out about my cutting for the 4th time. I don't know what to do...im thinking of ending my life and I just am so tired of trying to get better

L4Y May 21st 2015 01:52 AM

Re: my parents found out

I'm sure this is a very difficult situation, but ending your life is not the way out of it. The best thing to do would be to sit down with your parents if possible and try to have a good, healthy discussion about why you are self-harming and what can be done to help you, whether it be therapy or another method. Best wishes.

hocus pocus May 21st 2015 09:34 PM

I agree with what was said, I think you should talk to your parents about what you're going through. Be honest and let them know what they can do to help you. Perhaps you can see if counseling is an option? It can be amazing if you find a counselor that you click with. If you don't want to talk to your parents, maybe you can take the time to write a note and you can leave it where you know they'll find it.

In the meantime, take a look at some self-harm alternatives. You may find some of these helpful in fighting your urges. Remember that all urges will eventually pass, no matter how intense they are. Keep your head up and keep fighting!
:hug:

Palmolive May 22nd 2015 11:02 PM

I'm sorry you are going thorough a rough time right now but I am so glad you have reached out to us here at Teenhelp. You should be proud of yourself for that!

Parents finding out can be very difficult. I have been there plenty of times and can relate to how you feel. I do agree with the above users and think that you should sit with your parents and explain how you feel and what you are thinking. They love you at the end of the day and all they want is whats best for you. I am sure they will want to help you in every way that they possibly can do and you deserve that help. Whether they decide to help you get help through school or through your doctor. Having support in place when you are going through feelings and emotions like you are can be really helpful and is something I want to encourage you to get. Reach out. Don't be alone.

Definitely check out the list of alternatives but remember not everything is going to work and sometimes nothing will work but just keep using them because as long as you're using them, you're not self harming or doing anything else. Suicide is never the right way out and I don't think thats what you really want in this. I know its a hard fight but you are so strong and deserve so much better than all of this and you can have a bright future. Don't let this ruin that. Be around people and let them in.

Remember we're always here for you too so don't suffer alone,
Jessie

xxpaigiexx May 22nd 2015 11:38 PM

Hey there,

Suicide is not the answer. Why not take this time to try to recover, your parents are able to offer you support and help if you are finding it hard to stop self-harming. Your parents are bound to be concerned as any parent would be. I know it's difficult to stop self-harming, I did and it took me a long time but with support and help from others you are going to have that support network to go to for help when you are struggling and when you are having a bad day. Your parents can also help to get you some professional help and support.

I'm sure right now your parents are very worried about you and only want you to be happy and healthy.
Take this chance to get yourself on the road to recovery.

I know you can do this! :)

I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to!
Paige

Obliviate May 23rd 2015 01:24 AM

Hi sweet.

I've was in your position when I was around 16, so I can honestly relate to how you're feeling right now.

It's hard enough to have your parents find out about you self harming once, never mind when they find out you've relapsed. However, you must remember that they know you struggle with self harm and so are likely to want to help. That's what I found with my parents anyway.

It can be difficult to get over the initial shock, guilt and embarrassment of being 'outed' but from my experience the sooner you let them in, the easier it is for them to help you. It's not an easy conversation so I'm not going to sit here and tell you that it's a piece of cake. There might be tears and shouting from both sides but you have to remember that they care about you and want the best for you. It's difficult for them to see their child struggling.

Try to see this as an opportunity to recover and receive the help you deserve.

Best wishes,
Charlotte x