TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rainbow Cookies Offline
Geek and proud
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emma

??? - June 6th 2015, 03:38 AM

I don't know why but I always feel better after I self harm. Yes my arm hurts after but that pain takes away the other pain. I don't feel as empty. I don't feel as hopeless. I'm not really sure but I think that I might just do it to feel something different. Do it to take my mind of the sadness. Does any of this make sense? I can't really tell what makes sense for myself anymore.

"The quickest path between two points may be a straight line but it is by no means the most interesting."-The Doctor

Me- Do you ever feel like you about to crash into a sign?
Friend- What?
Me- I mean mentally, emotionally and physically, because I do right now.
Friend- No
Me- It's a very specific feeling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: ??? - June 6th 2015, 05:03 AM

Hi! It' more than likely the endorphins your brain sends out into your bloodstream when you get hurt. It tends to give you a happy feeling, which is probably why you feel better and not so hopeless. It's basically a natural pain killer Have you checked out any alternatives to self-harm by the way? If not, I recommend taking a look at this list and see if any would help you out http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/ I'm here if you need anyone to talk to

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: ??? - June 6th 2015, 06:04 AM

I agree with Crystal's explanation in that it's like a natural painkiller. The endorphins are what makes self-harm so addicting for many people. There are other ways to release endorphins, though! Moderate exercise and exposure to sunlight can help you. Take a look at the alternatives that were provided to you above and see if any of them help you. I'm here if you need anything.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: ??? - June 6th 2015, 11:48 AM

Hey there, Emma!

Yes, it does make sense, you aren't weird or anything for having these feelings, you know? Many people who struggle with self-harm would be able relate to you. As Crystal said, self-harm releases endorphins and that's part of what makes it so addictive. The thing is, even though it may make you feel better in the moment, self-harm is an unhealthy coping mechanism that can end up causing you more issues in the long run as it may start to drown out healthy ways of coping and make you turn to more destructive ways. Calico made a great suggestion that could be really helpful - exercise and sunlight can release endorphins.

I'm sorry that you're struggling so much that you've felt the need to turn to self-harm in the first place. I know that in your other thread you mentioned how you had a lot of trouble talking to people about your issues, especially people you're close to. But since it's gotten to the point where you're trying to find an outlet in self-harm, I think that support would help you a lot. Plus, you deserve to have someone to talk to instead of dealing with all of this alone. Do you think you could try approaching your parents and slowly letting them know that you're having a hard time? Such as letting them in about small issues, then when you feel more comfortable, you can begin opening up about the more difficult things.

Having outlets for your thoughts and emotions might help you feel the need to turn to self-harm as an outlet. How about trying out creative writing such as story-writing, poetry and art, like drawing/painting? On that note, having a private journal to write down your thoughts and feelings can be therapeutic. And if you feel more comfortable about it, you could also write in your blog here on TeenHelp as a substitute for a physical journal.

Do you have many hobbies and things to do during the day that you enjoy? Taking up a new hobby like crafts, for example would be fun and something to fill your time with. Try your best to have many different healthy coping mechanisms to turn to when you feel like self-harming. On that note, I recommend checking out the self-harm alternatives list that Crystal linked you to. There's lots of things to do on the list instead of self-harming, I suggest trying out some till you find some that work for you.

Hope this helped. Feel free to message me if you need anything!

Closed Thread