TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
just_listen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Emergency calming methods? - June 8th 2015, 07:59 PM

I'm at camp right now, and we are making t-shirts. But were using exacto knives. None of the usual things I use to calm down are available, because we are on the bus going on a field trip to do the project. I'm starting to panic a little.

Stars Can't Shine Without Darkness

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Emergency calming methods? - June 8th 2015, 08:17 PM

Hey there,

what sometimes helps to calm down is to use some breathing technics. Try to breath slow and even. Or, try to count. Theres something called 4-4-4. You breath in for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 4 seconds and then breath out for 4 seconds. Another ons is, to try to count how long you breath in and out and try to make sure it's the same number. Like 5 in, 5 out, or 3 in 3 out. Whatever works for you best and if that works try to go up with the numbers till your calmed down.
There are more breathign technics but I only know those and they work pretty well for me.

Other things you can do is work with your senses. There's hearing, tast, touch, smell and seeing. You can try to get strong sensations for those. Like eating something very sharp or very sweet. Our listening to really loud music. It doesn't have to be a pleasant sensation, but the second you biting on chillies your whole being will focus on the burning in your moth. Sounds stupid (at least it did to me) but it works. Same goes for lous musis or some smell you can rub under your nose.
I'm not sure if any of those work for you right now, but maybe there's something for you, that you can do right now.

Also, if it's a field trip, there's some teacher or coach or something there, right? Maybe you could talk to them. You don't need to tell them what exactly is going on. Just tell them, that you don't feel well and that you're panicing and aqsk them to help you. It may depend on the teacher, but usualy they should be able to help you and look out for you during the trip.

I hope you will have fun on your trip, despite all that!

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Emergency calming methods? - June 9th 2015, 12:31 AM

The person who posted above me gave wonderful advice! Definitely try those things, because they could benefit you. It might help to write a list of make a mental note of emergency alternatives for the future. It might be hard to find alternatives when there aren't many around, but that forces you to be creative and you never know what you'll find!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bluetears Offline
Blue
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Emergency calming methods? - June 10th 2015, 06:11 AM

Hi! One thing I've tried is to use a strong smelling perfume/lotion/smell good thing to keep me distracted. I put a bunch on my shoulder, and when I get triggered and take a big whiff of it. It sounds a bit strange, but it helps me.

"Remember your loved and you always will be. This melody will bring you right back home." - Linkin park, The messenger. Stay strong everyone!! You are always strong enough to get through whatever life throws your way, no matter how hard it may seem.

Closed Thread