TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Need help - June 11th 2015, 06:20 AM

I need help making it till tomorrow without SH because everything is just getting too hard to deal with at the moment and I continually mess up and I need to do something to forget about the pain in my head.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Need help - June 11th 2015, 06:50 AM

Hi, Hilary!

First off, it's really positive that you're reaching out and trying to prevent yourself from self-harming. That shows you're really making an effort and you should take a moment to be proud of yourself for that.

As for not self-harming, could you try out some things on the self-harm alternatives list? Writing down your thoughts and feelings in a journal or blogging would be a healthy way to express yourself. Exercising releases endorphins just as self-harm does, so it may help to do moderate exercises if you can. Maybe you could text a friend and hold a conversation with them, and spend time with people around you such as your family members and friends or even a pet? Focusing on a pet can be distracting in a great way.

Other suggestions would be to treat yourself to something you enjoy to hopefully help you get into a better mood. Like having a favorite snack/hot beverage accompanied with a TV show or movie you enjoy. Or a warm bath, a short walk to clear your head etc. Distracting yourself with hobbies is also a good idea! Things like reading a book, playing a game and doing crafts are all simple but fun things you could immerse yourself in.

Talking about what's bothering you may make you feel better along with it being a much healthier outlet than harming yourself. I'd be happy to listen if you feel like talking about how you're feeling, okay? There's also many other members that'd probably be more than happy to talk with you. On that note, have you ever spent any time in the chat room on this site? The chat room can be a fun place to chat with others along with it also being a place to seek advice sometimes. Overall, it could be a nice distraction.

In the meantime, just keep in mind that you can send me a message anytime even if it's just venting and I'll get back to it as soon as I can. I hope you find some alternatives that work for you. I'm really glad you're trying your best to refrain from self-harm. Resisting urges and working through things using healthier coping mechanisms is a great step towards recovery. So hang in there and stay strong, you can do this!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Need help - June 11th 2015, 07:06 AM

I would go to the chat room but you need java to go on it and my laptops stupid and doesn't like java so I cant go on the chat room But I've been reading to distract myself so far.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Need help - June 11th 2015, 10:33 PM

Hi

Just wanted to say that you can do this. I know it's hard but you can! Beating urges are hard and I highly suggest you use distractions to get yourself through the moment when you have the urges. You can do active things like writing, reading, running, drawing, tv, games, painting, listening to music and so on or you can use techniques like the butterfly project, using ice on your skin, gettin a cold bath etc. These things can really help in the moment and even if you don't feel they're helping, but you're doing them, then you're staying safe because they are keeping you busy, you know?

Do you have anyone to talk to? I know talking to people can be hard but it can also be really helpful. If you have a therapist could you call them up and have a chat with them? Or maybe if LiveHelp is online you could have a chat with someone. Or you can talk to us about the problem here or talk to a friend or family member. Scary but helpful and beneficial. And people want to help you but can only do so if they know what is going on for you. We're always here for you too. You know that.

You can do this so keep fighting the urges. Pamper yourself. Paint your nails and watch a good film with some popcorn or have a nice relaxing bath or go for a run and get it all out of your system. Running releases endorphin's as well like self harm does so thats a great way to get this out of your system but do what ever works for you. Because YOU are whats important in this. You are who we want to get through this moment. And I believe in you. You've done it before so you can do it again, its just gunna be hard but you've got this, kay? And remember you're not alone.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread