TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SherlandMolly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Could be a bit triggering 😁 - June 14th 2015, 12:37 AM

Hey everyone, I'm 95ish days clean and lately I've really been wanting to cut, but today I'm feeling like any form of self harm will help... I still want to cut the most but I'm scared I'll go too far and it will be impulsive (I have BPD)... My DBT isn't helping at this point 😭

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Could be a bit triggering 😁 - June 14th 2015, 03:21 AM

Hi there,

Congrats for going so long without self-harming!

I'm sorry you feel as though DBT isn't working. I think you should talk to your DBT therapist and let him or her know that you're no longer finding it helpful. Maybe you can do new things in DBT, or try talk therapy as an alternative. Talk therapy can be helpful because having someone to vent to can do a world of good.

You've been so long without self-harm, and that's amazing! Every second counts and you're going great. Have you thought of doing something at around 100 days to reward yourself? Sometimes putting a reward in place can give you an extra push to continue self-harm free.

Do you know what's making you want to give in? Maybe you can keep a journal or a blog so you can figure out what's triggering you. If you know what's been upsetting you, you can work through it. What alternatives have you been using? Sometimes, alternatives become too repetitive and lose their ability to help you. Here's some alternatives that you can take a look at.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Could be a bit triggering 😁 - June 14th 2015, 05:27 AM

Hey there,

I think it would be best for you to talk to your therapist about the fact that you don't think it is helping you anymore. They might be able to help you work on figuring out why it isn't working or help you work on tailoring the therapy so it better suits you.

It's awesome that you have gone so long without self harm. I know something that helps me avoid self harm in remembering how long I have gone without the self harm and remind myself of how accomplished I feel. Maybe if you do the same thing it will help you avoid cutting.

If you ever want to talk you can always message me as well.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Could be a bit triggering 😁 - June 14th 2015, 06:38 AM

Good job with going so long without SH! It just means you are a strong person for making it. If you feel that talking to your DBT doesn't help, maybe you could try talking to someone else who you think could help. Or you could sit down with you therapist and talk about why you don't think its helping. As has already been mentioned, taking a look at the list of alternatives to SH should be a good idea to get an idea of what you can do to help stop. If you've already done that, good job! I hope we helped. Stay strong, you can do this

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Could be a bit triggering 😁 - June 14th 2015, 10:11 PM

Hi there,

95 days free is amazing and honestly if you've done it this far you can keep on going. I know you can and I believe in you. Thank you for reaching out to us here at Teenhelp for support. I know it can be hard to reach out so you have done really well!

I did a year of DBT about nine hours a week. Keep trying to use your skills. I'm assuming you use mindfulness so keep trying with that. Even if it's going in your head and doing A-Z of girls names, animals or food etc. Or you could breathing exercises too. Try to get back into your wise mind and ground yourself. Sit down, take some deep breaths, name five things you can hear, see and smell. Hold on to the chair, look around and just ground yourself and get yourself where you in a stronger position to beat the urges.

Have you looked at our alternatives to self harm? Here's the link: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/. I know not everything is going to work for you so keep trying things and keep trying new things too. As long as you're doing something, you're not self harming and thats the good thing. The bad thing is not everything is going to distract your mind so you have to keep at it. But there will be things out there that will help you so keep trying things even if it is trial and error and don't give up.

The thing about self harm is that it actually helps physically because it release endorphin's. So when you cut, they get released and you feel that bit better. But things like running can also release them so maybe that's something you could look into. Doing different things that release's endorphin's which are what helps you when you cut. And you have to look at it in another way too. That actually, when we self harm, it helps but only for a few minutes or several. Then soon on we tend to want to hurt ourselves again so in that way it doesn't help.

I know this is really hard for you but you're a strong person and can get through it so keep on fighting and have faith in yourself I know its scary and tough but the fight is gunna be worth it, okay? Stay strong and stay safe.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread