TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Relapse - June 20th 2015, 06:16 PM

Yesterday I got really suicidal and ended up having a relapse. I feel terrible I had one and I feel like I need to SH more.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Relapse - June 20th 2015, 07:39 PM

Hey there,

I know how terrible relapses can make you feel but please don't give up on trying again. I think that relapses are a part of recovery and I have relapses numerous times before finally getting clean. I think you need to try and remind yourself of reasons why you don't want to self harm. I know when I was really struggling with urges this list helped me quite a bit. I would also suggest that you check out Alternatives to Self Harm.I know the alternatives have helped me quite a bit. If something on that list doesn't work you could always try making up your own alternatives. Although that list is pretty extensive.

I really hope that this helped and if you need anything feel free to use teenhelps many resources.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Relapse - June 21st 2015, 08:14 PM

I agree in that relapses are part of recovery. You can't be expected to never do something again after you've used it to cope for so long. Recovery is a process, not perfection, and all of the progress you previously made is still there. Relapsing can't take your progress away. You went self-harm free for a while, so be proud of yourself! I think what you do after relapsing is what matters the most, so pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep beating self-harm.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Relapse - June 22nd 2015, 06:52 PM

Relapsed are definitely part of recovery. A hard part but definitely a part. And as hard as it is. You can get through it. You have to realise you had a relapse and accept that you did and now say right lets start again and move on because if you keep holding on to it, you are going to keep on self harming and getting into an even worse place because it's just going to be there in your head and you won't get pass it. So as difficult as it is, you were doing great, you had a relapse but you can move on and start again. Okay? And we're all here to help and support you as best as we can do so don't be alone in it. Be proud of yourself for how far you have come. You've done really well to get this far.

And remember when you have the urges to self harm, to distract yourself as best as you can do. Do anything and everything (that's good for you) and keep doing them because as long as you're doing something then you aren't self harming. You are staying safe. And that's whats important - you staying safe.

You can do this, stay strong.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread