TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Struggling... - August 14th 2015, 05:28 AM

I'm struggling with my self harm. I have been self harming on and off for 2 years and I try to stop but I don't think I will ever stop. I hate my scars but I can't stop self harming, I have tried different coping strategies instead of self harm but sometimes they don't work and I eventually give into the urge. I feel so alone, and isolated with my self harming and I self harm when I feel sad, anxious or stressed. I just really need help and hope....

(#2 (permalink)) Old
XXCassXX Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cassidy

Re: Struggling... - August 14th 2015, 05:54 AM

You're not alone. I've been self harming for 4 years now. I'm always willing to talk if you want. Sometimes just talking helps.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Struggling... - August 14th 2015, 10:49 AM

Hey there.

I'm sorry you've been struggling with self-harm for so long and that your coping strategies aren't working. Honestly, you're doing so well in the simple fact of trying not to self-harm. I realize and understand how you must feel really alone in your self-harm but you really are not alone. It is quite common, sadly. However, the positive side is that there's a lot of people on this forum and in real life too of course, that will understand and be able to relate to you. So you aren't alone, alright?

Since the coping strategies you use aren't working anymore, then is it possible to search for new alternatives and ways of coping? Such as journaling about your feelings or resorting to a creative hobby that allows you to express yourself, distracting yourself with a TV show or occupying yourself with a pet etc. Going for daily walks in the sun and getting moderate exercise each day may help too because sunlight and exercise releases endorphins which is what self-harm does. Have you seen this thread? It is a list of self-harm alternatives. Basically a huge list of helpful alternatives to do when you have self-harm urges or are dealing with difficult feelings.

In the thread you posted in the Depression and Suicide forum section, you mentioned a psychiatrist? I was wondering if you had brought up this issue with your psychiatrist about your coping techniques not working? I'd hope that your psychiatrist could provide some helpful insight and tips for you. Does anyone in your life know about your self-harm or of your struggles? Perhaps you could open up to someone in your life about how you're feeling when you feel depressed and/or have urges to self-harm. Hopefully talking to someone about it and having their support and comfort would help you.

Have you tried setting goals? Small goals such as trying for one week, then two weeks and so on. You can just focus on going small amounts of time self-harm free so that you don't feel too overwhelmed. Aside from that idea, you mentioned that you've been self-harming off and on for two years and I was wondering if you had tried thinking of recovery in a different perspective. Rather than thinking of stopping self-harm altogether, just focus on getting through each urge and each day. One step at a time, you know? Every urge you get through and each negative feeling gotten through with a healthier coping mechanism contributes to your recovery more than you know, and it's also an accomplishment you should be proud of. Let that thought and every accomplishment strengthen you as you push through the tough days. Don't feel afraid to continue reaching out here also. You're welcome to get support and advice here anytime!

Not sure if this helpful to you but I hope it was. This must be hard for you but you can recover. You are strong enough so just take small steps and believe in yourself. You're welcome to message me anytime if you need someone to talk to. Stay strong and take care.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
pix Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Struggling... - August 14th 2015, 11:37 AM

Thanks XXCassXX and Nala for your support, it is really good to hear (in a good/bad way) that you also feel like this because it makes me feel less alone. Sometimes I wish I never started self harming and sometimes I want to self harm, which is kind of difficult to handle because "I'm on the fence" of what I want with my self harm. I hate my body, I hate my scars and every time I look in the mirror or look at my body, I feel this sense of hatred towards myself because I know that I did this to myself but I don't want to stop. Does anyone else feel like this??

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Its.Just.Angie Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Angie

Re: Struggling... - August 14th 2015, 01:41 PM

Yeah I was self harming for 5-6 years.. I still struggle every now and then. But you so ain't alone in this.. I know alot of people who struggle in real life as well... So no you ain't alone even if it feels like it! (:

Closed Thread