TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Hitting myself. - August 14th 2015, 02:03 PM

Recently I have been hitting myself because I think I make too much mistakes in my life and want to punish myself because of it. I also have a tendency to think too much and I don't know how to start thinking less.

With that I meant hitting an own body part with my own fist, slamming my head against things and scratching. Nothing further than that (Although I can think that at times, I won't do it cause I don't want anything too drastic)

One part of me is afraid I'll get caught and I'll either get kicked out or a threat that I'll go to a psychatric institution, another part wants someone else to notice cause it might help the problem.

I mostly have urges to do it when my mother starts to get angry at something, or at some cases projects anger on me on things I cannot do anything much about or if I feel like I have failed myself. But I don't want to commit suicide cause I do have people that love me and if life had no plan with me I would've died at birth.

I don't know what to do

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Hitting myself. - August 15th 2015, 04:30 AM

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with this but I'm glad you're asking us for help.

It seems like you've identified some of your triggers, and that's a good thing. Try to avoid anything that triggers you whenever you can. If you're in a triggering situation, perhaps you can try to remove yourself from it. If your mom is upsetting you, for instance, consider telling her that you don't want to communicate when she is angry and ask to talk later after things have cooled down. It sounds like you could struggle with mood swings, and those can be really intense sometimes. Something to work on when you have mood swings is to remember that you may not have control over the mood swings, but you have control over how you react to them and it might help to remind yourself over and over again that you're safe. If you consistently remind yourself that over time, you won't struggle with mood swings as often or as intensely.

When you want to hit yourself, is there anything else you can do? Maybe you can do something physical, like go for a walk or a jog. You could also invest in a punching bag to hang in your house somewhere and you can play loud music too. You can hit a pillow, or stomp your feet, or rip paper into little pieces. Try to find a healthy way to release your feelings.

I think you should consider telling someone that you're struggling, too. It doesn't have to be your mom; it can be anyone you trust. You don't deserve to deal with this alone and telling someone can help lift a weight off your shoulders.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Re: Hitting myself. - August 15th 2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico. View Post
I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with this but I'm glad you're asking us for help.

It seems like you've identified some of your triggers, and that's a good thing. Try to avoid anything that triggers you whenever you can. If you're in a triggering situation, perhaps you can try to remove yourself from it. If your mom is upsetting you, for instance, consider telling her that you don't want to communicate when she is angry and ask to talk later after things have cooled down. It sounds like you could struggle with mood swings, and those can be really intense sometimes. Something to work on when you have mood swings is to remember that you may not have control over the mood swings, but you have control over how you react to them and it might help to remind yourself over and over again that you're safe. If you consistently remind yourself that over time, you won't struggle with mood swings as often or as intensely.

When you want to hit yourself, is there anything else you can do? Maybe you can do something physical, like go for a walk or a jog. You could also invest in a punching bag to hang in your house somewhere and you can play loud music too. You can hit a pillow, or stomp your feet, or rip paper into little pieces. Try to find a healthy way to release your feelings.

I think you should consider telling someone that you're struggling, too. It doesn't have to be your mom; it can be anyone you trust. You don't deserve to deal with this alone and telling someone can help lift a weight off your shoulders.
I could go for a walk around town yeah.

Told my girlfriend about it and she is supportive. Thing is, when there are visitors or even normal times without visitors she's a sweet person, a mother that anyone could ask for, but lately I notice her getting angry more easily, and I already blame myself for a lot of things I may or even may not have done. It might have something to do with the moving that adds stress, add not being allowed to smoke and yeah, stress levels will rise.

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me
  Send a message via Skype™ to Jordioa18 
Closed Thread