TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cantaxi Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Scars? - September 4th 2015, 06:04 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey guys,
I'm been self harming for almost a year now and every single one of my cuts heals straight to a white scar. It's really annoying because my scars are one of my favourite parts of self harm and whenever I see anyone elses scars they're all really dark and I like that colour so much more. Even when I've cut down into my fat it still goes white and even if I use a knife it still goes white it's just thick. So how the hell do I make them heal dark? If you guys have any dark scars can you tell me what you used and how deep/big the cut/burn was?

Thanks a lot,
Phill

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Scars? - September 4th 2015, 08:55 PM

Hey there,

Nobody is allowed to give you methods of self harm here. It is against our rules to do so, and even if it wasn't, nobody here would want to give you ways to harm yourself. We are a recovery-based website, after all. We do understand that not everyone is ready to recover yet, but we also don't want to encourage them to do any harm.

Also remember that everybody's body is different, so what may happen to one person may not be what happens to another. It isn't worth risking doing something dangerous that can potentially leave you needing stitches or worse, just to get a result that you may not even see.

You didn't ask for advice on how to stop, but I will give you this link to a list of alternatives to self harm. They are healthier and safer ways to cope, and some of them give you the sensations of self harm without actually hurting yourself.

If you would like advice on how to stop, we can do that, but we definitely can't encourage any harm.

-Dez

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Scars? - September 4th 2015, 10:15 PM

Hey there.

As Dez said, we can't give you tips on how to harm yourself as that's against the rules since this site is heavily focused on recovery. Regardless, even if it wasn't a rule, I doubt anyone would want to give you tips on how to further harm yourself. Even though we don't personally know you, we still care and don't want you to hurt yourself, you know?

On the subject of your scars, everyone's body is different which will impact how wounds heal, the scar coloring and how bad it scars. So I want to discourage you from harming yourself so badly just to aim for a specific result. Is it okay if I ask why you self-harm or why you began to? I completely understand if that's too personal and if you don't feel like talking about it. You have no obligation to share that but I just want to let you know that TeenHelp is a safe place to share things you're struggling with and many, many people here are so supportive. So don't be afraid to reach out if you need support/advice with your struggles.

The link Dez gave is a really helpful link with a list of alternatives you can use when you feel like self-harming. One thing that might help you is visual alternatives such as using a red marker and drawing on your skin or using red food coloring and putting it on your skin. For sensation you can chew on ice cubes, splash your face with cold water etc. Those things work for some people to ease their urges but not for everyone. Sometimes the sensations/visualization further triggers them but not everyone is the same. Which is why it might be helpful for you to try out lots of things on the list when you feel triggered to see which things work for you.

Hope this helped in someway even though it wasn't what you were asking for. You're more than welcome to talk with any of us and use TeenHelp's many resources of getting advice/support but we can't give you tips or encourage you to harm yourself nor do we want to as it's unhealthy. I really hope you end up choosing recovery because even if it feels impossible for you right now, it is never impossible. I believe you have the strength but only once you want to and are willing to make the choice of recovery. Obviously we can't make that choice for you but I want to encourage you to, and I hope you do eventually so you can live a healthier life free of self-harm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Scars? - September 13th 2015, 10:01 PM

Hi there.

We're not going to give you tips on how to self harm so that you can make your scars how you want them to be; I don't even know if that is possible for us to do but we aren't going to give you any idea's because that's now thy we're here. Remember everyone's body's heal differently and we're all different.

I don't know if you want help on your self harm but know things can get better and you don't deserve to be putting yourself through this pain. You are worth a lot more than what you are going through and if you do want help with it then know we're here to listen and we'll always try our best to support you. I can imagine you are going through a really tough time right now and if there is anything I can do to help then I am more than willing to do so. You are not on your own through this. Please reach out to us if you need and want the help because it's what we're here for, okay?

Stay strong,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Scars? - September 13th 2015, 11:36 PM

Like the others have said we are not allowed to tell you how to self harm. But everyone scars differently. All my scars are white, some raised, some not. Over time the scars do fade and change colour abit to a lighter white and like over time the scars do fade or some of mine have to the point where you cant like see some of them unless you are like literally scrutinizing every inch of my body.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread