TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hailnever Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,656, Level: 10 Points: 4,656, Level: 10 Points: 4,656, Level: 10

My parents refuse to think I have depression - December 8th 2015, 09:36 PM

I have had problems with depression most of this year and started to cut but my parents refuse to think I have depression. I was having trouble sleeping and we tried getting some sleeping tablets and the lady in the shop told us that the tablets will not work if you have depression. My mum, of course, told her I didn't have depression. The tablets didn't work. My mum didn't think anything of it but I certainly did. This was before she found out I cut. When she found out I cut she sent me to a councellor and thought I have anxiety. I could have anxiety but I highly doubt it. I don't get worried before a game in sport or when I was doing debating. Because my parents don't believe me, I feel uncomfortable every time they bring up me cutting and/or anxiety and I don't feel like I can talk to them at all.

Help
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TwistofFate_07 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Ashley

Points: 13,080, Level: 16 Points: 13,080, Level: 16 Points: 13,080, Level: 16

Re: My parents refuse to think I have depression - December 8th 2015, 10:54 PM

Its very common for parents to believe that their child doesn't have depression. Or any mental health problem for that matter. Have you asked them why they don't believe that you have depression? Maybe its just hard for them to accept.

Have you tried talking to a school guidance counselor? He/she can probably help you out. They may just tell your parents for you. Then they'll probably believe you then. Stay strong!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: My parents refuse to think I have depression - December 8th 2015, 10:55 PM

Hey there and welcome to TeenHelp.

Depression is serious and it can impact a person a lot in negative ways. I imagine your parents love you a lot, and this makes it difficult for them to accept the idea of you having depression. Some people question whether or not depression is possible for youth as well. I can see how the way they are handling this would cause you to feel like you can't talk to them. You may have depression, and you may not but something is obviously bothering you a lot. And that makes it matter if it's bothering you. Have you asked them why they cannot see a possibility of you having depression? I realize that talking with your parents about this isn't the easiest thing to do, but I hope talking about this will answer your questions and hopefully help them understand and open their minds to these possibilities.

Perhaps you could put it that way to your parents? You can clarify that you can't diagnose yourself, but this has been bothering you and you feel like you may have depression. And you have no reason to believe you have anxiety and it'd mean a lot if they took your worries and honesty into consideration. Then you could ask them about getting an evaluation. If you want, you can speak to your counselor about this and have your counselor talk to your parents about this. If you don't experience many symptoms of anxiety, it's important to make that clear to your counselor and clarify also that you feel you may have depression.

As for your self-harm, may I ask if you began self-harming as a result of feeling low? How long have you been doing it? You don't have to answer that, but I just wanted to reassure you that I understand how it becomes a coping mechanism when you are experiencing difficult times. However, it can become addictive and become a whole new problem on its own. Have you explored different coping mechanisms, emotional outlets and distraction techniques? Here is a list of self-harm alternatives. There are plenty of distractions for when you are dealing with urges and/or difficult feelings. Try things on the list until you find a few that work for you. Different ones work for different people.

Finding healthy outlets so that you don't feel as much of a need to turn to self-harm and also don't bottle up feelings and thoughts is a good idea. Are there any creative outlets you are interested in that may help you right now? Art, creative writing and simply journaling can be therapeutic. Distracting yourself with hobbies you enjoy could help too. On another note, I was wondering if you find sports you do at school helpful in terms of lessening self-harm urges? Self-harm releases endorphins, just like the sun and exercise does. I was going to suggest that you could do a little bit of exercise when the urges get intense to see if that'd help any?

You seem to be having a hard time right now and I hope your parents start making more effort to understand what you are going through. Just keep in mind that their current ways doesn't mean they don't care for you, sometimes it's difficult to accept someone you love could be dealing with such a serious issue. Continue doing your best to get through to them. I wish you the best of luck. I hope my reply helped some. Take care!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Re: My parents refuse to think I have depression - December 9th 2015, 04:36 AM

I'm sorry this is happening. I've been there before. My advice would be to find a list of symptoms of depression and check off all the ones that you have. You can show it to her and she can see that it's more serious and she might realize it is depression. The counselor might also be able to help if she/he thinks you have depression and you can discuss it with the counselor as well. Then if the counselor believes you have it but your mom doesn't, then she/can talk to your mom. She would probably listen to a professional if she doesn't listen to you.

I hope this helps. Feel free to pm me if you need anything. Good luck with that!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: My parents refuse to think I have depression - December 13th 2015, 06:07 AM

Hello.

I just think that when it comes down to it, some parents think along the lines of " Well, my child is just a child.. what's the worst that could happen? " But they don't realize that serious repercussions can occur when a child's pressures, problems are ignored. I also think that parents also partially try to avoid thinking or talking about it because they might think it's their fault.

I do agree that talking to a counselor is a good idea... but there are also other steps you could take to overcome this state of mind.

You could write a journal describing how you think and feel for the day, so that you can document your progress and not overthink things .. It'll also help you because it'll create an outlet for you to express your feelings, and help rant it out. You could also tell us how you're feeling, and we'll advice you and help you out.

With acceptance comes growth, and with growth comes maturity. I know that you'll be able to beat this.. plenty of people have successfully overcome SH , and you can be one of those too.

Fight the good fight and stay strong!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
Closed Thread