TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
darkwolf_2020 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,391, Level: 10 Points: 5,391, Level: 10 Points: 5,391, Level: 10

School and SH - May 30th 2016, 01:07 AM

Hey,
So recently I began to SH and the urges are getting stronger. I have severe anxiety and depression, and my triggers are mainly at school. At home I have found alternitives to cutting that work for me like listening to music or taking a walk. Even though I can't actually cut at school, I still have the urges and need a way to cope with them. Since I can't do my usually SH alternitives, I was wondering if anyone had ideas about ones that I can do while in a school environment. I looked at the SH alternitives list, but most of them can't be done in school. I would appreciate any advice.

Clover
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: School and SH - May 30th 2016, 05:39 PM

Hello

Its great to hear that you've found some things helpful and I am glad you have.

I struggled a lot when I was at school so my school allowed me to take time out of lessons where I could sit with my pastoral support officer or sit in the block she was based and do something to help myself. Could you talk to your school about having time out etc to do things like this'? I don't know if your school knows about your issues but if they don't, this would also be a really good way for you to get some more support to help you through this.

If you need anything, feel free to shoot me a message.

Hope and wishes,
Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
darkwolf_2020 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: School and SH - May 30th 2016, 06:24 PM

Hey!

Thanks for the reply. I told my teacher about my depression and anxiety, but have yet to mention my SH. I really want to tell her, but I'm scared of what will happen if I do. To be honest I don't really know what to expect. I know that she will have to tell my parents, but beyond that I don't know. She lets me step out if I am having really bad anxiety, I think she would let me do it for my urges too, but I would have to tell her first.

If anyone is comfortable sharing, could you please tell me your school's responce if they found out? It's almost the end of the year, so I don't know if I should just hold out or tell, and it partially depends on what would happen if I told.

Clover
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: School and SH - May 30th 2016, 07:00 PM

I don't think there is any point in holding on. Clearly this is an issue now and needs to be sorted in some way. I really want to encourage you to talk to your teacher about your self harm.

When my school found out about it, they called a meeting with the school counselor, pastoral support, head of year and my mum to get everything in the open. It was pretty hard going but in the long run it helped me a lot and gave me a space to talk as well as the time out in lessons. Do you think you could talk to your teacher about your self harm? I always used to write things down, give it to my pastoral support officer and then she'd start the conversation and we would talk about it. Sometimes people find it easier than verbally expressing it so that's always an option to

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: School and SH - May 31st 2016, 09:39 PM

Hi,

I know you said it's the end of the year now, but you could consider a flash pass for next year. I don't think all schools have them, but some do. I had mine for anxiety and overwhelming feelings and I could use it to see the nurse or the guidance counselor for twenty minutes at a time. The pass was unlimited and sometimes I'd use it just to walk through the halls.

You can also bring distractions that are subtle. You could wear a hair tie around your wrist and fidget with that when you're upset, or you can write about how you're feeling. I used to write a lot about how I was feeling during classes and my teachers never said anything because they thought I was taking a lot of notes.

When my school found out, they told my parents I was depressed but not about my self-harm because my body was healed. They found out later, and called my parents. They made me remove my clothing so they could look over my body.

I think you should tell your teacher about your self-harm. Because, even if you don't have her next year, she can still serve as a support for you.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
darkwolf_2020 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: School and SH - May 31st 2016, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the advice.
I'm going to a new school next year, so I don't know what their policy is. I think that I'm going to try to have something to fiddle with. That helped me with the past, so maybe it can work again.

Thanks!

Clover
Closed Thread