TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   What to do when at school? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t149574-what-do-when-school/)

7aerith7 January 20th 2017 04:16 PM

What to do when at school?

What should I do when I get the urge to punch myself at school? It's so overwhelming, and I'm basically trapped here. I mean, rubbing an eraser on the arms is an okay feeling but it's really just not as good

Ennui. January 20th 2017 06:44 PM

Re: What to do when at school?

Perhaps you can excuse yourself to take a walk to the bathroom or to the water fountain? I am saying this not to tell you that you should harm yourself, but because sometimes taking a short walk can give you a moment to get away from whatever the situation is and take a breather, which may help. If it's not too disruptive to the functioning of the class you can also do something like doodle or write something out in a notebook. Sometimes I'd quietly rip up or put holes in a piece of paper in the notebook just to get things out.

I do urge you to talk to someone like a guidance counselor though when you get these urges. They are mandatory reporters, but they would know how to help and that way you wouldn't be dealing with this alone. :hug:

hocus pocus January 21st 2017 11:10 PM

I really like the ideas Dez mentioned. I used to take walks during class sometimes and I found it helpful; maybe you will as well. In addition to taking walks and quietly doodling or writing things down, maybe you could look into bringing something small to keep in your hands? Something like a worry stone or a stress ball could help you work through your urges to self-harm.

I hope you find something that works for you!

DeletedAccount16 January 25th 2017 10:24 PM

Hi there!

I'm sorry you deal with these urges. Dez and Cassado has great ideas. Taking a walk, doodling in a notebook and having a stress ball could help a lot.

Is there a friend close by usually, that you can talk to? It may help to hold a conversation with someone. When at school and outside of school, I encourage you to reach out to someone. The support could help a lot and, you shouldn't have to struggle with this alone, you know?

If you have your phone with you then you could watch videos on YouTube between class or play a game. Simple games such as Solitaire or a puzzle game could distract you from urges between classes if there's enough time. You can write a poem or write any feelings/thoughts on your mind. Remind yourself you can beat the urge - take it an hour at a time. You've got this.

Take care and stay strong. You can do this! I hope you find things that work to help you resist urges. PM me if you need anything.