TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Scars and warm weather - April 1st 2017, 06:14 AM

Hey all!

About six months ago, I cut deeper than I normally do and have eight or nine scars on my legs that are very obvious and unfortunately fall lower than any of my shorts (something I didn't realize as I made them). I've been using an over-the-counter scar fading cream, and while it's helping, the scars are still very obvious. I'm not comfortable letting my scars been seen and was wondering if anyone has tricks or methods for helping scars fade quickly without damaging the surrounding skin.

If all else fails, I'll just stick to jeans and long dresses this summer or cover them with make up.

Thank you!

Erin

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Scars and warm weather - April 1st 2017, 04:03 PM

Hi Erin,

I used to have this issue with my arms, I ended up wearing sweaters all summer. Something you could wear are capris. They go lower then shorts, so maybe it might help?

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Scars and warm weather - April 1st 2017, 05:47 PM

I have some scars on my legs that aren't super noticeable anymore but when they were I would wear nude tights underneath of my shorts or skirts/dresses. They worked pretty good and you couldn't even tell unless you looked super close that I was wearing tights. I still wear them if I am going out with my family just to make sure that they don't see the scars.

Bio oil works (not super fast but it does work) and I've used scarfade on a few scars and it works.

I also use this for day to day on my arms. You could check out this, this, or this all works fairly good if you need something waterproof. My favourite to use is this because it is sweat proof and waterproof and lasts longer which is great if I'm on vacation. It is a little bit more money than other options but it really works fantastic.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: Scars and warm weather - April 1st 2017, 06:57 PM

Dear Erin,
I've got the exact same problem (apart from the fact that my scars are on the arms instead of legs). I've been looking for various ways to make them as pale as possible. I've already tried 'natural remedies' such as honey, and the scars got slightly paler - though I'm not sure whether it was thanks to what I applied on them or just the time passing and the scars fading by themselves. I've also applied a vitamin A ointment (which is versatile and works for pretty much everything else) - with a similar result.
I've been covering the scars with an everyday foundation fluid, but I'd like to actually fade them (if possible) instead of covering them endlessly.
You said that the cuts you made half a year ago are still conspicuous, but faded a bit; so hasn't it changed very much for these six months? I'm wondering how much time it would take for the scars to get pale enough without any 'help' so that we wouldn't have to cover them.
You also mentioned an over-the-counter cream. I wasn't sure wheter such creams (not the prescribed ones) would work. Are the results satisfying enough to buy one in your opinion?

Sorry for taking your time. I hope you'll find a good way to fade the scars.
Take care!
Sue

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Scars and warm weather - April 2nd 2017, 10:28 PM

Everyone has given awesome ideas.

I also used to use tights, especially under dresses and that worked pretty well. A lot of my scars are obvious and they have healed as much as they possibly can, so I sometimes wear leggings underneath shorts as well. There are shorter leggings you can get (or you can use the longer ones if it isn't too hot).

Vitamin E is supposed to help with scars. You can break open capsules and apply it directly to your scars, or you can look for a small bottle of it. I have seen people suggest mixing a little bit of vitamin E with baking soda before to make a scrub. I've tried it but haven't been vigilant about using it so I don't know how well that works.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Scars and warm weather - April 4th 2017, 09:11 PM

Thank you to everyone for your responses, I'll definitely be trying some of these out on my most worrisome scars. If they don't work out, I'll just wear jeans and long dresses this summer. It's not a big deal, I've been doing that for the past five or six summers. Just wanted to see if there was any way that I could get them to fade quickly since I'm not self harming as regularly anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamair View Post

You also mentioned an over-the-counter cream. I wasn't sure wheter such creams (not the prescribed ones) would work. Are the results satisfying enough to buy one in your opinion?
Yes and no. The scar cream that I've been using is helpful, but expensive (around $10 for a small tube of it). It doesn't help much on old scars (over a year), but is helping fade the intensity and redness of the newer scars. Not quickly though, which is an important note. The scars from around six months ago are much deeper than I've ever gone before, so I'm not sure what the natural fading of them looks like. I've been applying the cream on them for about two months and it's been helping little by little.

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

Closed Thread