TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dontselfharm Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: jordan

Exclamation i need help - April 13th 2017, 09:46 PM

i need help the last time i posted i ws covered with cuts from my the top of my forarm to the bottom i started councelling with a teacher in my school but she left me and she said i dont need it anymore sayed i wasnt showing the real symptoms of selfharm and that i was faking it that made me even more depressed than i was what do i do

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: i need help - April 14th 2017, 09:34 AM

Hey,

It isn't okay that a teacher said that to you and I'm sorry that you had to listen to that. Teachers do occasionally say things they shouldn't, but it can affect a person a lot when they do. Try not to take it to heart and know that no one here thinks you are faking.

It's great you managed to open up to a teacher in the first place, although it isn't so great you were let down like that. Don't let it discourage you from talking to someone else though, is there anyone else you are willing to talk to? Another teacher, a friend, a parent, a guidance counsellor at school or the school nurse, a therapist, or family doctor? There is a list of people you can also talk to in this thread for more ideas. Did talking to that teacher help at all? Know that not every person you talk to will also let you down like that, there are also many people out there who will believe you and do want to see you get better. We are also always here for you to talk to, whether it's through HelpLINK, Live Help, the Support Forums, or even PMing someone that you want to talk to. You are even always welcome to PM me if you wanted, I'm always here to help.

Do you have alternatives you use to stop self harming? I'm sure you've seen the alternatives on here but I'll link it to you again here, so you can go through and see if you can use any. Self harm is addictive and it's always better to try and stop, no matter how hard it is. Finding alternatives like holding ice, drawing on yourself or on paper, ripping up paper, hitting a pillow or a pillow into a wall can all help in stopping. You can also use distractions like having a shower, doing exercise, having a bath, reading a book, watching a movie or messaging a friend can help in having the urges pass. There are also apps you can get that help you deal with urges that you can buy for just over $1 from the app store if you're willing to do that, which is listed under the resources here.

Is there a way you can talk to that teacher and tell you aren't faking it? I mean, if she didn't believe you before then there might not be a point trying but it is also a suggestion you can try and do, or find a friend to talk to her with you so she is more likely to believe you. I don't know what she means by not showing the real symptoms of self harm as the only symptom of self harm is by self harming, which as you said you have cuts up your arm so you are obviously showing those symptoms. If you didn't want to talk to that teacher again then that's completely okay, it is just a suggestion like I said. Do try and find someone else you can talk to as well though, even just talking to a friend can help a lot.

You can get through this, okay?

Take care.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: i need help - April 14th 2017, 02:40 PM

I am really sorry your teacher said that. When she said you weren't showing the right symptoms, perhaps she meant your behavior? Many people who self-harm put a mask on, though she might not be aware of that. I do like the suggestion of speaking to her again if you feel comfortable enough. You can even give her some resources to research self-harm if you'd like to.

If you feel comfortable, telling someone else at school, such as another teacher or a counselor, about what she said, could be something to consider. She shouldn't be allowed to get away with saying something like that to one of her students. It is unprofessional and potentially damaging on her part.

Like it's been said, not everyone will react to your self-harm in that way. Though those reactions can be very discouraging, don't let them keep you from reaching out for help again. There are genuine people out there and they will listen to you, believe you, and take you seriously.

The suggestions and alternatives given to you above are great ideas. I hope they help if you're able to try them.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Closed Thread