TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Need help removing scars and hiding them from the doctor (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t151639-need-help-removing-scars-hiding-them-doctor/)

Thing June 5th 2017 03:51 AM

Need help removing scars and hiding them from the doctor

Hello!
I need to cover up and remove scars I have. I can't buy anything, such as cream, and there's no one to buy it for me without it being suspicious. I've read about home remedies, but I don't have neem or vitamin e oil. The only useful resources I have are probably aloe Vera, baking soda and sugar (which, as far as I know, isn't useful without oil), and this cocoa butter lotion. I tried mixing the cocoa butter and aloe Vera together, but it didn't do much (then again, I only tried it a few times). I've tried concealer, but it doesn't really have an affect. I also need to know how to hide them from the doctor. I fear my mom will drag me off to a physical soon, and I don't know how to hide them. I have several burn scars on my upper legs. They've faded a lot, but you can still tell what they are. There are scars on my torso too, but those are a lot more faded, and you can only see them if you look closely. My questions are:
1) How can I cover up and remove my scars without having to buy anything? Any home remedies with my limited supplies?
2) How can I hide my scars from the doctor? Do you think I can get away with wearing shorts and a tank top there? If not, I think I can cover up the scars on my legs with my hands...would that look suspicious?

I think that's all for now. No, I don't want to tell my parents about it. I already disappoint them enough. Thanks for reading and for the feedback!

Lionheart June 5th 2017 09:44 AM

Re: Need help removing scars and hiding them from the doctor

Hey there :)
As for your second question, I don't think it will be a problem to wear a top and shorts for your doctors appointment unless you would have to strip.
Also doctors have seen a lot. They won't mind. It can be really scary, to let a doctor see those scars, but they won't make a big deal out of it. Especially if they are old. If they are new they might ask, but most doctors are really sensible about the this. So it'll be alright.
And if your scared your mom might see when you are at the doctors you could always ask tell her, that you want to go in alone. Most parents respect that.

As for covering up. Sadly there's not much you can do. I tried different kind of things to get scars to fade, even scar oil can only do so much.
You best bet is to keep them moisturized, for which aloe vera or cacao butter will be enough. It works better if you massage the lotion into the scars. It keeps them from raising when they heal (at least thats what I've heard)

hocus pocus June 5th 2017 11:53 AM

How old are your scars? Keeping them moisturized is a good idea. If they're relatively recent, you could wash them with soap in the shower to help exfoliate the area. You may even be able to mix a little bit of aloe with some baking soda to make some sort of a scrub. You said you don't have vitamin E oil but you can make a scrub with that so perhaps an aloe scrub would be similar.

I think you could wear shorts and a tank top there if you'd like to. Maybe you can let the doctor know that removing your clothes would make you uncomfortable. But, as it's been said, doctors definitely have seen a lot and scars won't be entirely unusual for them to see. You probably could cover the scars with your arms if you lay on your back and place them down your stomach and legs. Doctor's offices are sometimes cold, so you could drape a jacket over yourself as well.

Best of luck with your appointment.

oddity June 5th 2017 01:25 PM

If you live in a place where aloe grows, that can be used to heal scars. It's a little slow, but it does work after some time. We've been putting aloe on our scars for a couple weeks now, and they've faded quite a bit.

You can just go out and rip off a stalk, then remove the spikes on the sides and peel off the outer skin, then rub the soft and slimy stuff in the middle onto your scars. We usually apply it before bed and keep them on overnight, then wash it off when we take a shower.

If you can't get it, you could probably buy it somewhere. A good excuse would be you want to try to use it to get rid of acne or bug bites.

~Remy

Thing June 5th 2017 06:30 PM

Thanks so much for all the responses! My scars are about a year old, so they probably won't fade significantly anymore. I'll try to make a scrub with aloe Vera and baking soda. Unfortunately, aloe doesn't grow where I live, but I do have bug bites and I own a lot of house plants, so I'll probably be able to buy my own plant with no suspicion. I feel a lot more reassured with all your suggestions.

DeletedAccount42 June 19th 2017 03:34 AM

You can wear long sleeves or pants or use some makeup to cover them. Scars dont fade easy, but I doubt your doctor will be fazed by them.

LonelyRazor June 21st 2017 09:05 PM

Your doctor shouldn't make a scene over your scars. But, if you truly feel to cover them up put on a pair of jeans or slap a few bandages on them.

Thing July 1st 2017 01:05 AM

Thanks for all of the responses! I think I'll be fine after reading all of your replies. Thanks again, everyone!