TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wonderlust Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sunny

Idk what to do - June 19th 2017, 07:34 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So basically my mom and sister found out about my story. and she and my sister cried and couldn't sleep all night. I told my friends and some cried and they are very worried. My bf is also really worried about that. They keep treating me differently tho, like I'm fragile and they are afraid to break me. I hate it. I want them to go back to treating me like usual. (My family and bf mostly). What should I do?

Link to my story: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-d...ory-summed-up/

Life's a tough b**ch, but you are tougher. Go show it who's boss. <lots of love and hugs>

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Idk what to do - June 19th 2017, 08:30 PM

I have some tough news for you, unfortunately, but it's best to come to terms with it as soon as possible: you can never go back to the way things were. Not really. As you recover from self-harm you can start to repair relationships and regain trust, but they will always know how you were hurting enough to harm yourself. They may have different reasons for feeling how they feel, but most likely they feel pain, concern, and uncertainty. They may not know what to do or where to go from here. In all likelihood their reaction is probably trying to find a way to make you hurt less than you already do. They don't want to make it worse.

In all honesty, though, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Carrying the secret of self-harm can be a really difficult and burdensome thing to do. Now that they know you can open a dialogue about what's going on with you. You can communicate clearly. You may even be able to find professional help, and that's a great thing. If you could see a counselor that might really help you learn how to cope with your urges.

The best thing you can do is try to rely on support and commit to not self-harming. That sounds like a pretty tall order, and it is if you've been self-harming for a while, but try taking it one minute at a time. Try to tolerate with alternatives when things are starting to seem unbearable. You can make it through this.

Good luck and PM me if you need anything else. Take care.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Re: Idk what to do - June 22nd 2017, 04:21 PM

First off, let me say that people finding out about your self harm is scary at first, but it ultimately helps you in the end. Your family and friends are being fragile because most/all of them have most likely never been in this situation and they don't know how to act around them. If I were you, I would just sit them down and say, "hey, I'm the same person I was before I told you, so there is no need to treat me different." I know that is hard, But I think this is the best way for them to start treating you the way they did before. Good luck and if you ever need anything feel free to PM me

Closed Thread