TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wishes Offline
Hello

Junior TeenHelper

Name: 爱

I miss it - June 27th 2017, 08:31 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I miss cutting myself.
The only real reason that I have stopped is because both my parents know about it, and will beat me if I do it again. That's kinda ironic, I'm not hurting myself because I fear that I will get hurt by my parents.

The other night I was crying (like most nights) and I suddenly remembered how cutting used to give me a release from everything. How it used to make me feel better.
I honestly miss cutting, and seeing the blood. I miss the relief it gave. I could really use that right now.

"Every Experience Is A Gift from The Universe"

http://www.instagram.com/_.2204_/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I miss it - June 27th 2017, 06:59 PM

It's normal and understandable to miss cutting yourself. Even though the relief is only temporary, it does provide relief and that is something many people miss throughout their recovery.

What self-harm alternatives do you use? Maybe you could find new ones that give you similar relief. For instance, you could exercise, listen to your favorite music, or eat a little chocolate to release endorphins similar to what cutting would release. You could also consider drawing with red ink, either on yourself or on paper. You could try temporary tattoos as well to get the similar visual that blood would give.

Your parents are a good reason to stop self-harming but can you think of any more reasons that are more for yourself? For instance, maybe you want to stop so you can wear clothes that you can't wear when you self-harm or because you want to learn to be kinder to yourself. Thinking of new reasons could help give you a different perspective.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: I miss it - June 30th 2017, 12:23 PM

Hey,

I think it's understandable that you miss something you used to rely on quite a lot at times like this. But you're doing so well to be getting through it so far without hurting yourself. You don't deserve to be hurt by other people, and you certainly don't deserve to hurt yourself either.

Is there something else you could do which gives you a similar sense of release but which doesn't end up with you getting hurt? For example, could you draw on some paper or scribble on some paper? Maybe you could rip up lots of paper as quickly as you can so that some energy is going into it as well. You could also try piling up your pillows and knocking them over with something as hard as possible. None of them are quite the same as self harm but I think that's the point here. They may not give you the same sense of release but they will give you an outlet, and when you're sad an outlet is a very valuable thing.

Keep strong, ok? You can do this. I know it's hard but if you need us we're here. <3

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

Closed Thread