TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
flooof Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,135, Level: 8 Points: 3,135, Level: 8 Points: 3,135, Level: 8

Self harm and Parents - November 23rd 2017, 09:51 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi guys,
I'm new to this website and I'm worried about how my parents will react to my self harm (mostly cutting). I have been really good at hiding cuts, but recently I have been more careless in the way I hide them (not wearing jumpers etc.). Anyway, my brother saw my cuts just very recently and said "show me your arm" very carelessly. I hate those things about people. Anyway, he is most probably going to tell my parents, and I'm worried how they are going to react. They are mostly supportive about multiple things, yet, I feel like its going to be different with this. My mother is most likely either going to hate me as I "made her feel like a terrible parent" or she'll be supportive. I'm just concerned about what they are going to say. Is there any advice that you can give me to help me deal with my parents if and when they find out? Thank-you heaps in advance.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 108,892, Level: 47 Points: 108,892, Level: 47 Points: 108,892, Level: 47

Re: Self harm and Parents - November 24th 2017, 02:49 AM

Hello and welcome to teenhelp, we are so glad that you have joined hugs.

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this right now. When someone finds out about self harm it's hard, because they are thinking about so many things and they don'tknow what to do right away. And also sometimes others don't fully understand why you are doing this. Can you try talking with you're school counselor and letting them know that you are having a hard time with this and or a teacher that you like and trust at school. You can see if they can help you to talk with you're parents about this if you want to. Are you able to talk about this to you're friends too?

When you get the feeling to do this, try going for a walk or putting on music or a funny TV show to make you laugh to get you're mind off of this. I hope that you will be ok soon. And you can post more when you need to. Lots of hugs.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Self harm and Parents - November 24th 2017, 12:05 PM

Parents react differently to self-harm and but it depends on the person and the family dynamics. Sometimes they react with anger initially because it is hard for them and then they calm down after thinking about it. So, definitely try to give your parents some time to cool down and think things over and then see what happens afterwards.

If your mom says that you made her look like a bad parent know that you did not. Self-harm doesn’t usually have much to do with parenting (unless the parent is a factor in the child feeling like harming themselves). Self-harm doesn’t discriminate and anyone or any family can be impacted by it.

Do you feel comfortable talking to your parents about it if they find out? If so, maybe you can sit down and have a conversation when things cool down. You could let them know what they can do to help you through this. If not, you can also write a note if you find that to be easier.

Best of luck and keep us updated if you’d like.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
Closed Thread