TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   telling my parents (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t153881-telling-my-parents/)

Blue the book fox November 16th 2017 02:02 AM

telling my parents

hi, guys I really want to tell my parents I cut but I am scared we have talked about stuff like cutting before I started and they said and I quote " they belong in a psych ward." I am scared if I tell them they will take me there or they will be angry with me. so my question is how do I tell them?

hocus pocus November 16th 2017 12:34 PM

Re: telling my parents

Hi there,

It's great that you want to tell your parents that you are struggling with self-harm. Something to note is that parents often have negative reactions for a variety of reasons such as not understanding self-harm or fearing for their child's safety. Many parents improve once they have had time to let it sit with them, however. Don't let this deter you from discussing it with them; it is just good to prepare yourself for the different possibilities.

How do you feel most comfortable expressing this? Do you want to verbalize it? If you do, you can ask your parents for a good time to talk to them and that will kind of hold you accountable for telling them. If not, you can write a note or bullets on what you want them to know or discuss with you.

Many parents are unsure how to help so something to consider telling them is how they can help you with this. Could they ask you how you're doing or ask about your safety, for instance? What would you find most helpful?

Best of luck with telling your parents and feel free to keep us updated.

Arabesque- golfing girl. November 16th 2017 12:47 PM

Hi,

I am so glad that you came to us about this and you are going to tell you're parents about this and ask for help with this. Great job.
What you can do is write down on paper that you are self harming and that you would like some help please and you can ask them to get you some help with this. Ask them if they can have you talk to a therapist and not to have you sent away.
Another way is you can talk with you're school counselor and let them know that you need help with this and that you would like to tell you're parents and ask if they can have you're parents come in and help figure something out for you and a way to get you the best help. Try you're best to stay calm when you are taking to them and I wish you the best and hope that it all works out for you. Hugs.

DeletedAccount69 November 16th 2017 09:23 PM

Hey there,

As long as your emotional well-being would not be harmed by telling them, I think you should consider being open with them about. There are a lot of people who do not understand mental health or things like self harm. Due to this they might make insensitive comments. However, when they find out that someone they love is struggling they can, sometimes, take steps to change and learn.

If you are really nervous about talking to them, you might be able to talk to your school psychologist and ask them if they can help you talk to your parents about your struggles. I believe that some school psychologists are willing to do this.

If you are unable or uncomfortable with utilizing the school psychologist, it might help to print out some informative information about self harm so that your parents can read through it.

Best regards and please let us know how it goes.