TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmyMave8 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amy

Red face Is there another way? - June 2nd 2018, 11:55 AM

I self harm by cute myself around the wrist area. Not deep but it stings for a bit. I do it when I am in a breakdown, which happens a lot. Doing it relaxes me, stops me from crying, lets me breath. It stops the breakdown and I can normally get up and continue my day after a few minutes of breathing. I want to know of any other ways you guys use to calm down really quickly because self-harm is hard to hide and my friends ask questions but I make up an excuse. So um yeah any other quick easy ways?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: Is there another way? - June 2nd 2018, 04:07 PM

Heya

You could squeeze iceblocks in your hand until it melts or instead of cutting you could use red markers to draw lines or something where you want to cut or you could punch or scream into a pillow.

Is there anyone you could talk to like someone you trust whether it could be a family member or a favourite teacher?

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is there another way? - June 3rd 2018, 10:33 AM

Hello,

There are methods that can help such as utilizing breathing exercises. Another thing that might help is if you look at Alternatives and Coping Methods. These can give you a list of different things to try based on the emotion you are feeling that might be causing you to want to self harm. I believe that there is also a self harm generator attached there that you could give a shot as well.

I am wondering if you have taken time to try and identify your triggers. Maybe keeping a journal and writing down the different things you are feeling and how that makes you feel. There are also apps that you can access that help you track your mood. I think figuring out what is causing you to want to harm yourself could be a great first step to trying to figure out how to overcome it.

It might be a good idea for you to sit down and try and talk to a trusted adult about all of this or consider looking into counseling. A counselor can be a great way to talk about and process the self harm.

Wishing you the best.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
pastlifepoet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is there another way? - June 6th 2018, 04:38 AM

Hey,

I like to draw things or play a video game (both hands busy) or stroke a cute animal like a cat. Drawing is the best one, it got me through school. So like, minecraft is good as it's creative and both hands are taken up. I can lose a whole day on it though...

Sometimes I even drew lines on paper to emulate cuts, and imagined the cutting happening and that helped me because on some level it felt like it had already happened. Bit weird, but worked for me

This is my first post/comment by the way, so I don't know if i'm doing this right but yeah, I hope my advice was useful!

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Svisttt Offline
Art Dork~

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Is there another way? - June 6th 2018, 07:41 AM

Hey there!

I'm so glad you're looking for ways to help yourself in ways that don't involve hurting yourself! I understand how difficult it can be to not give into urges, so I definitely recommend checking out that alternatives list Bibliophile posted!

Something I used to do a lot when I felt anxious was to take a bit of Elmer's glue and spread a bit of it on the palm of my hand, and then let it dry. I waited until it completely dried and peeled it off, then washed my hands in cold water. This was something I usually did if I was out somewhere, I found keeping around a little bottle of glue was easy for me This of course also worked when I was at home, as well!

Another thing! Have you heard of happy boxes? This is something you can create for when you're feeling urges or you're upset! I've made one, and I can't say how much it's helped me.

Creating one is really easy- all you need is a box and things that make you happy! The box can be anything, really- I personally used an old shoebox. You can decorate it however you'd like! Inside the box, you can put anything that makes you happy or keeps you distracted, be it pictures, letters, little toys, stress balls, candy... whatever you want! Then, whenever you're feeling upset or just need a boost, you can sit down and take out all the things in the box and be surrounded with things that cheer you up. Take your time with it!

To end this off, I just wanted to let you know that you're precious and deserve happiness- please don't hesitant to post or use any of the other services here if you need any help!

"hold me
whatever lies beyond this morning
is a little later on."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Mikola Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mikola

Re: Is there another way? - June 8th 2018, 09:16 AM

Sometimes if i have stress i just behold nature around me. All these things calm me, yea.

Closed Thread