TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: No

Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 16th 2009, 09:11 PM

That's always what happens. I cut, I get better, then I have a relapse. I hate it.

It all started in 6th grade. My grandpa died and I started to poke my forearm with my pricker (the thing diabetics use to poke there fingers to test their blood sugars). But I stopped after about a week because I figured "Why am I just making myself feel worse?"

Then at the beginning of freshman year I started to feel hopeless after a really bad break-up. I started pricking myself again...but I stopped after my best friend Katie found out. She use to cut too, and she told me ways to keep myself from hurting myself.

Then my other "best friend" Kaley started calling me really mean names because I'm hanging out with Katie and my other friends Nicole, Becca, Kalea, and Kelsey. She calls them mean names too but I'm pretty sure she's just jealous that I'm not only hanging out with her. I got so depressed because she started rumors about me that were really bad. So, instead of just pricking myself, I took my lancet out of the pricker and just cut myself. I didn't bleed at all, but I had humongous scratches and tears on my arm.

I was cut free for a month. But then this happened...

Katie showed me her arm in choir and there were cuts all over it. I couldn't believe it. She was cut free for almost a year. She had a bad fight with one of her other friends and cut herself. I didn't say anything, I was speechless...but when I got home I took out my lancet and cut, crying and bleeding. This time I put it on my shoulder though so no one could see the cuts.

I write songs to try to help, but the urge to cut won't go away.

Please help me.

Last edited by Nope; January 17th 2009 at 11:41 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Furubasu Offline
FISHSTICKS!
Not a n00b

Name: Jessica

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 16th 2009, 09:22 PM

Hey, it's hard to stop on your own, I know. It must be even scarier when someone else is cutting too. Since she's your friend, I think you should help her, and I don't blame you for cutting yourself. i think it might help if you separate yourself from the things/people who trigger you (such as the girl who is calling you mean names) and try to get along without them for a while. I'm not asking you to quit cold turkey, but maybe you could not cut yourself the next time you're upset... go back to pricking or something. I really hope that you do this instead, as it works for me: Color yourself. It gives the nerves on your arm a tingle and it gives the feeling of your arm getting wet. Better yet, it also washes off. Please, try not to hurt yourself. If you ever need to talk (cliche I know) you can always PM me. ^ ^ I believe in you. If you can stop once, surely you can stop again. I know this is probably very sudden and forward of me but maybe you could consider going into treatment? Please respond.

With love,
Jessica

I either feel like no one cares, and that I should be breaking things, and that everything is falling apart, or that everything is great, and I can do anything, and I really do have friends.

I'm stuck halfway in between.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
wendolynmarie Offline
I like yo face. :]
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Wendy

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 16th 2009, 09:52 PM

Hey. I'm not really good at giving this advice stuff but I want to help you. SHing is like a habit. It's like eating chocolate or biting your nails. If you relapse you're not a bad person and you're not weak or anything like that. You are human. Being human means you won't be perfect. So when you relapse you just have to remember you are human and you have to remind yourself how wonderful you really are. It's hard to stop but it's doable. I think you and your friend should make that a 'friend goal'. So it means you have someone looking up to you and relying you but it also means you have someone to look up to and rely on. And you guys can even work together and reward each other when you do good.

I can totally understand how relapsing feels. If you ever need to talk or rant or eat toast or anything like that with you can message me or imagian me in your brain talking to you or if you are advanced enough you could probably set out on an adventure and find me. But I'm here for you and I'm here to help.

Love,

Wendolyn-Marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 17th 2009, 07:53 AM

Thank you guys! You've really helped. I'll try that stuff next time I'm upset. =)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 17th 2009, 09:20 AM

Audrey,
Relapsing is a part of recovery. It is something that all of us go through. Relapses happen. Instead of focusing on the fact you cut, look at the good things that you have done. You went self harm free for a while, even if it was only a couple of days. Those days that you went without it were important. The less cutting you do, the better. You really should be proud of yourself.

It's good that you are writing songs to help the urge to cut go away. There are plenty of other things you can do though. You don't need to try to use writing songs as your only alternative every time you wish to cut. Not every alternative is going to work in every situation. You have to figure out alternatives that will work for you.

--A

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 17th 2009, 11:07 AM

Thank you! I have already filled 2 notebooks with songs I wrote. It has really helped me, but I would like other ways. I'm really glad I joined because you guys have helps me so much in just a day. And its been two days since I've cut. =)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
wendolynmarie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 17th 2009, 11:37 AM

You have done wonderfully! Two days without cutting is two days closer to getting better! Writing songs is good. I try to but I suck at it. >_< Other ways you can help distract yourself would be sleeping or cooking or drawing or coming on here and helping people. I found praying really helpful too. I was never really religious before but I started praying and everything started getting easier. But you can also write "I like pink dinosaurs" 100 times on your body with sharpie (my mom was not happy when I came home looking like that) or you can hum to yourself or tell yourself a story or listen to the radio or look through your CDs and listen to the ones you liked when you were little (before Brittaney went all mommy on us) or you can play dress up with the clothes you never ware (I ended up looking very much like a pirate) or you can look through all your stuff and donate the stuff you never use (it always makes me feel so good about myself) or you can walk up and down the street by your house singing and dancing. If you want to try the last option may I suggest Dancing Queen by Abba.

Good luck darling. I'm always here for you. :]

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 17th 2009, 11:40 AM

I will definitely try that last option =P I love that song! =P

(#9 (permalink)) Old
wendolynmarie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 17th 2009, 11:49 AM

Haha. Sweet. It really works. It helps you just lot go for a little bit. And it's a freaking awesome song.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 17th 2009, 12:52 PM

Haha that it is. =P

(#11 (permalink)) Old
wendolynmarie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 17th 2009, 03:56 PM

Yo, Chicka Chicka. You are totally awesome. I just thought I should tell you that because I felt like it. Okay. :]]

I am teh Wee :]

hope.faith.love.joy.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 17th 2009, 05:11 PM

Awe thank you! you are awesome too! =)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 19th 2009, 08:53 PM

Someone help.....I just had a huge fight with my parents......I feel the need to cut..... someone talk me out of it.......

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 19th 2009, 09:22 PM

I hope I'm not too late...you posted this a little while ago. -_-

Audrey, you can do this. You don't need to cut. You NEVER need to cut. You just think that you do. It's not going to help you, you'll still be upset about the fight...AND you'll have fresh cuts to hide. Do you really need the extra stress?

Not to mention...dear, lancets are there to help you stay healthy. LOVE your pricker, don't turn it against you. Next time you go to test, give your lancet device a kiss. It loves you, too. =P

Take a deep breath. Everything is alright. PM me if you need to talk, about anything. Take care. <3

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 20th 2009, 03:09 PM

OK I made it through.....I didn't cut. I tried to distract myself with studying and drawing. Thank you, I'll look at this next time I want to cut. =)

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Wishable Offline
★ Listen Up, Destiny
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Caroline

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 20th 2009, 04:11 PM

WOW 5 days?! That is so impressive. Im so proud of you!

Something that works for me is stopping, and breathing. I close my eyes and picture the scene AFTER cutting, the hurt in people that I love's eyes, the guilt I feel, the frustration at not being able to hold off. Focus on those negative feelings, realize that you do NOT want to feel like that, and remember that you are strong enough to get through anything.

need some hope? click this one
know an angel? tell me about it

(#17 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 20th 2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audball2108 View Post
OK I made it through.....I didn't cut. I tried to distract myself with studying and drawing. Thank you, I'll look at this next time I want to cut. =)
It's amazing that you made it through that urge. You can do it next time as well. I know you've got this in you.

--A

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 20th 2009, 07:22 PM

Thank you guys. It's been hard...but worth it. =)

(#19 (permalink)) Old
SnowKitten Offline
SnowLeopard/Caracal/Otter/Fox
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Snow

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 23rd 2009, 06:34 PM

8 DAYS!!!
AWESOME!!!

I think you need the best, squishiest, fluffiest, cuddliest hug EVER!!!
*Gives the best, squishiest, fluffiest, cuddliest hug EVER*
W00T!!!

Click my eggs and help my dragons grow! :3
  Send a message via AIM to SnowKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SnowKitten  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Nope Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Relapse, relapse, relapse... - January 24th 2009, 02:06 PM

Haha thank you!!! I've been feeling a lot better since I've joined, so it's all thanks to you guys!!! =)

Thank yoooooou! =P

Closed Thread