TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Babity Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kaila

This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 04:39 AM

*Not sure if this is triggering...but here we go

Ok so I got a facebook invite awhile back. It was a group invite for "To Carve Love on her Arms" Not thinking anything of it....I accepted, thinking it was just a TWLOHA rip off...

But a week or so later, my friend was talking about the group. She was wondering why I was a member. I looked back at the group page and found this (exact quote) for the group description

This is inspired by a friend of mine, and also all the people I know that cut. Cutting helps dull the emotional pain. Please support one of the most misunderstood practices of all time

At first I was in disbelief....how could he actually be ENCOURAGING people to cut. I look at the comments, but they only made it more real. He was actually doing it.

How could someone say "Yes cutting is good...keep doing it" like what did the arrogant little kid know? Does he have any idea how horrible it is that his friend has to go through this and that he should be helping him by getting them help? Honestly I was so ticked off. I nearly tore his head off in the comments. UGh

my question is ...can he even do that. I feel like facebook should have the right close that group. It's horrible I HATE it. It was almost triggering just to look at it.

Compromise is not a sign of weakness. It is the strength to withstand caving to an ultimatum.
Living with one takes great strength

TH Buddy
VM me
PM me

Last time I cut myself
October 19th, 2012

(#2 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 05:06 AM

I've actually known someone, who had a B.Sc., and for the longest time he tried to convince me that self-harm was okay. He was very intelligent - obviously not in this sense, however. He was also mentally ill. If I was somebody else, someone who actually believed his bull crap, I don't want to think of the end result of that...

Anyway, yeah I don't agree with the group but I don't think there's anything that Facebook could do about it. People are allowed to make any kinds of groups that they want - no matter how offensive they are to people. Unless they're specifically singling a person out, therefore making it harassment, I don't think that they're obligated to close the group or anything of the sort.

It's tough to deal with these kinds of people so my advice would be to ignore these people. Unfortunately they exist in the world and we just have to learn how to deal with these ignorant people.

SUP BRO.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mixtape91 Offline
Falling Up
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 06:28 AM

I see why its making it you so mad, it ticks me off as well. Sadly, i know we shouldn't give them that power. They are mentally ill and giving out excuses for it being okay when its not i guess is just another way of dealing with it. IF their are explicit images then i know they can get shut down for that. You should try flagging them or contacting the facebook staff or something. If your serious about getting them shut down then you should ask your friends and other people to complain to the facebook staff as well. I know they'll be hearing from me in a very angry email

goodluck, and sorry its bothering you so much

“Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.”

- Edgar Allen Poe

The only truth is change, have patience
  Send a message via AIM to Mixtape91  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 07:35 AM

OMJ THAT'S TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think if you report it, they can delete it, but that's just absolutely terribly unbelieveable!!!!!!!!! I can't even imagine that! That's SO wrong, that would piss me off SO bad!!!!!!!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Re: This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post

It's tough to deal with these kinds of people so my advice would be to ignore these people. Unfortunately they exist in the world and we just have to learn how to deal with these ignorant people.
I definitely agree with this.

I can completely understand why you're feeling angry, Kaila. It's understandable. Have you thought about reporting the group? On the Facebook safety page it has information on reporting a group on Facebook. If it's really affecting you then I think you should report it. Facebook might be able to do something about it then. I'm sorry you've had to deal with this.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 11:31 AM

I agree that it is horrible and if I saw it, I'd probably be angry as well but as said, the world is full of these kinds of people and not everyone is going to think the same way, it's just something you've got to ignore and not let get to you.

I'd report the group and see if anything happens as I don't think it's right to have a group like that. Hopefully they'll be able to do something about it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 04:11 PM

Hey Kaila,

There's quite a few of these types of groups on Facebook, unfortunately. I know that it can be distressing and annoying, but the world is full of groups/websites/people with these ideas. It would be great if we could change that so that people did understand things better - self harm itself and the alternatives, but it's something that we can't do alone.

I think that the best thing you can do is to flag/report the group and see if anything can be done. Otherwise, you're just going to have to avoid/not look at the groups. I think it would be extremely difficult to try and stop these groups completely and so I think that you are just going to have to try and ignore them. You know that it's wrong to try and encourage people to harm themselves and you should know that you're the better person in all of this. Try not to let these things get to you too much.

Take care.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 04:20 PM

You can report the group, you know, I've seen a few groups like this, and I HATE them. I've reported them. If a lot of people report it, then facebook could close it. I'll search it and report it.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 06:44 PM

not much you can do other than report the group to facebook.. get the friend that told you to report it too. it's terrible that people make these kind of groups.. but to be honest they're obviously just idiots who have nothing better to do with their lives. don't rise to it by leaving a comment.. that's probably what he wants to happen.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Babity Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kaila

Re: This really made me mad - August 1st 2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxEllexx View Post
don't rise to it by leaving a comment.. that's probably what he wants to happen.
too late hehe

but I've taken myself out of the group. And a lot of my friends have as well. Hopefully this kid has learned that it was just an innapropriate thing to post on the web.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't report the group (unfortunately) but I did look over some of the rules. Oh well..you can't win every battle.

I just really hope nothing like this happens again.

Compromise is not a sign of weakness. It is the strength to withstand caving to an ultimatum.
Living with one takes great strength

TH Buddy
VM me
PM me

Last time I cut myself
October 19th, 2012

Closed Thread