TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ColoradoXLove Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

7 years strong is wrong - September 5th 2009, 11:23 AM

Hi, im not a new member to the site but I want to be anonymous with my posts this time. Heres the thing, I've been cutting myself for about 7 years now. It hasn't been bad anymore since about 2 years ago. It still isn't bad but I still get these urges all the time. I cut about a week ago a very small amount but its just so tempting and I don't have anyone really to talk to about it.

~Love

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: 7 years strong is wrong - September 5th 2009, 02:13 PM

Hey,

I think it is great that you are reaching out for help with this. You have been self harming for a while now but it seems from your post in the last few years it has got better and you have come a long way and I think you are really strong to have got this far. Self harm is an addiction so you will still get urges and you might have slip ups now and again but these slip ups are part of recovery. That happen to most people when trying to stop self harming. You learn from your slip ups and what really matters is how you move on after them. There is no point in dwelling on something that has already happened. You can't change the past but you can make your future how you want it to be.

There is always someone on here who will be willing to listen If you ever need anything at all then I am always happy to listen. Stay strong!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
gone_wrong Offline
Not a n00b

Name: ellie

Re: 7 years strong is wrong - September 5th 2009, 07:08 PM

the longer u do it the harder it will be for u to break the habbit it hard anyway just think about how far u have come and keep clinmbling the montain to be SH free u can do it ! what triggers u to cut think about about y u cut and see wat u can do about it talk about it we hear to help babe !! i been SH for around 6 years i think i no it hard xXX

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: 7 years strong is wrong - September 7th 2009, 08:12 PM

Hi there,

Well done for coming to us and being able to open up with how you're feeling, that can be a hard thing to do but you have done very well.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling with self harm for such a long time now, I understand that it must be difficult for you to try and resist the urges that you may be getting. We're always here to talk to you if you want to talk and I'm sure that there are other people offline that would be willing to talk to you about things too, anyone who you can trust or who is a professional would be good to talk to. If you're not comfortable with talking to anyone then writing in a journal may be helpful to you - it could also help you to identify triggers and things that make your urges fade or make you feel better. Writing a list of things you like to do and a list of alternatives could also be helpful to you, as you may already know there is a list [here]. Exploring your issues behing your self harm is important (though perhaps easier when you're feeling more stable) and distracting yourself when you are triggered or having urges is a good idea.

Take care of yourself.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: 7 years strong is wrong - September 8th 2009, 02:57 AM

Hey-

It's not uncommon after even seven years that you still get urges. That's part of the addiction unfortunately.

The alternatives to self harm thread should be helpful. Try to do five of those at least before you let yourself SH. Hopefully that will help give you enough time to rethink your decision and maybe change your train of thought.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ColoradoXLove Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: 7 years strong is wrong - September 8th 2009, 04:51 AM

Thanks you guys, its times like these when I wonder why I left this site in the first place. I appreciate al of your replies on this and all your kind supportive words. Its definitely hard to stop after this long but yes Jen, it's significantly gotten better in the past few years. I rarely think about it now but when I do it last for a couple days. Its nice to know that I can come and talk to you guys on here

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: 7 years strong is wrong - September 8th 2009, 01:06 PM

You should come back for support when you need it You don't have to go through any of this alone. Everyone here will always support you through it and if you ever need someone to talk to then I am always happy to listen. Of course it will be hard to stop but I believe you can do it. Stay strong.

Closed Thread