TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*Alyssa* Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alyssa

did it again - October 5th 2009, 06:31 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I cut again. i had an argument with someone i really care about and i cut again......the sad part is......it felt really good.
  Send a message via AIM to *Alyssa*  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
forever_hannah Offline
Save the Savior
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: did it again - October 6th 2009, 04:24 AM

It's going to feel good, because it feels like you're doing something to help. Just like if you went and drank or did drugs or had sex or anything to cope with that argument. You just have to realize that it's only a quick fix. By cutting, you didn't solve anything. It didn't resolve the argument or make it go away. It's just more pain on top of that. You deserve better. Don't forget about the alternatives! I hope things work out. Maybe you could try to talk it out with this person. If you care about each other it'll be okay. You're going to be okay. Hang in there. PM me if you ever need to talk.
With hope,
Hannah

Hope is real. Help is real. LOVE is the movement.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Alyssa* Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alyssa

Re: did it again - October 6th 2009, 09:16 PM

alternatives just dont work for me.....i dont know if i can stop anymore....and i cant tell anyone because my parents would find out.
  Send a message via AIM to *Alyssa*  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: did it again - October 7th 2009, 12:06 AM

Hey,

It might have felt good then but does it feel good now? Also has it solved the problem. I don't think it has because you are still left with the original problem as an extra problem self harm. Self harm is just a short term release to a long term problem. You have to deal with the actual problem because self harm doesn't it just masks it. Alternatives might not work for you to start with but they may work if you keep trying. You can stop; it might take time but you will get there. But in order to stop self harming you are going to have to face the things that are making you self harm. I know you say you can't tell anyone because your parents will find out. But what is the worst thing that could happen if they knew? They could be supportive but you never know until you try.

Stay strong

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: did it again - October 7th 2009, 12:15 AM

Hey there,
Like Jen said, when you did it, it may have felt good but you are just digging yourself into a deeper hole. You said that the alternatives don't work for you. Have you atleast tried a few? Sometimes some don't work while others work every time. They are basically just there to help control your urge until it goes away. Although you feel like you can't tell your parents, do you have maybe a close friend that you can talk to? Sometimes it feels much better just to let it out and that way you can have someone to talk to. Maybe try to stop the urge by keeping yourself busy until the urge is gone. Go for a walk, hang out with some friends, or just play a video game. Something that will keep your hands busy. Let me know how you are doing.
Take care,
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: did it again - October 8th 2009, 04:26 AM

Hey there,

Cutting really does not solve anything. You know, when you cut you are cutting away the problem instead of dealing with it head on so in the future the problem you are burying away will come back again. I know it might have felt good but in the end it really didn't accomplish anything. The problems will still be there unless you learn to deal with them.

Now, as for the alternatives, I know that I struggled with getting them to work for me and for the longest time I thought they didn't work for me. But, you have to give them time to kick in because right now and for a while your body will probably rebel against any new coping mechanism but if you give it time it really could work.

Please hang in there and do not be to hard on yourself because you will be able to beat this with time.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
lizalover Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elizabeth

Re: did it again - October 10th 2009, 10:08 PM

I am really sorry that you SHed when you got into a fight with a friend and I understand what you mean when you say it felt good because it always feels good when you need the relief, but cutting isnt the best way to deal with your pain. Have you told someone else about your SH? Sometimes it helps me to talk to someone about how I am feeling when I want to SH and that normally helps me to not SH. Maybe you should consider telling a close friend, school counselor or parent... It will help knowing that you have that support.

"Damaged people are dangerous because they know they can survive."
"Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow."
"Challenges are what make life interesting."
"We can draw lessons from the past, but we cannot live in it."
  Send a message via AIM to lizalover Send a message via Yahoo to lizalover  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
L i v <3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: did it again - October 10th 2009, 10:53 PM

honestly, your never going to stop unless you want too. you have to really want to stop. it's going to be hard but it will make you so much stronger, you need to learn to take out our pain/anger another way. your a beautiful person and your body doesn't deserve all those scars! you'll regret them some day, i know i do! you have to be strong and resist, in the end you will feel so much better!

I believe in love, lust
sex & romance.
I don't want everything
to add up to a perfect equation.
I want mess and chaos.
I want someone to go crazy
out of his mind for me.
I want to feel passion
and heat and madness.
I WANT IT ALL.

Closed Thread