TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Em[ily] Offline
RAWR (I love you)
Not a n00b

Name: Emily

I don't know how to say this... - January 27th 2009, 06:29 PM

Ok well, first off does burning yourself on porpuse count as Self Harm? If it does, why does it matter if you do it? What can it hurt?
I've told a couple of my friends and they tell me not to do it but why not? I don't see anything wrong with it, it makes me feel better. It makes my pain go away and it makes me forget everything for a few seconds. Nobody gets that except my one friend who also self harms so she knows how I feel, she cuts for the same reason I burn.
It makes me feel good! Why is something that makes me feel good so bad?

EDIT: How do you get rid of burn marks?

Last time I cut: October 14th 2009

"Where can I turn? Cause I need something more, surrounded my uncertainty, I'm so unsure. Tell me why I feel so alone!"
Conspiracy - Paramore

Twilight Addict & Proud!

Last edited by Em[ily]; January 27th 2009 at 07:36 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to Em[ily]  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: I don't know how to say this... - January 27th 2009, 07:54 PM

Hey Emily-

Yes, burning yourself on purpose for the reasons you've stated is definitely self harm. And asking these questions is quite common. It hurts you in the end, it can easily take over your life, and it's addictive. There may easily become a point in which you can't stop. People will be concerned about you, and permanent scars will be left forever. Which brings me to my next point.

You can't always get rid of burn marks. I know of a lot of people who actually still have burn marks from years ago. Here is a portion of a great sticky, which can be found Here:

Also, scar reducing products. These take time but can have some really good results:
* Bio oil, probably one of the most commonly known. It can be quite expensive, but you only need to use a few drops 2 or 3 times a day for it to work. I've heard that results can vary from 3 weeks to a couple of months, but it's worth doing. I know itís been effective when Iíve used it in the past.
* Cocoa butter, again, well heard of and used. This also softens the scars which will help new ones to heal better. (Make sure you notice itís new scars - don't use any scar products on open wounds).
* Vitamin E oil, use in much the same way as cocoa butter - 2 or 3 times a day, it moisturizes the skin and encourages the scar tissue to soften and heal. You can also get vitamin E capsules to burst on your skin and rub in.
* Tea tree oil. It can also help on fresh cuts, as if you buy just the pure oil, it acts as a natural antiseptic, and can help fend off infection.
* Palmer's scar serum. This isn't talked about as much as the other products, so I'm not entirely sure about how well it works. If anyone has any experience, please share! Again, you use it 2 to 3 times a day, and result times vary.
* Any products for stretch marks can help fade scars as well. There are plenty out there on the market, some cheaper than others.
* Scar reduction sheets. I know that in the UK they are available in Boots, I'm not sure of any stores in the US that sell them, but there are a few places online that sell them.

Hopefully some of those are of help to you. Though, it'd be much better to simply not burn in the first place.

Talk to some users here, and ask them how self harm has impacted their life. Majority will say it impacted them in negative ways. It's a simple quick solution, that doesn't last long emotionally. And leave scars forever. You can even see this by looking at the majority of people asking for help with stopping self harm even in just this forum.

As for now, I think you should try and refrain from burning or any self harm until you decide if it's really something which you want to deal with. Check out these alternatives and see if you can use some of them instead of self harming.

Good luck!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Brinn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brinn

Re: I don't know how to say this... - January 28th 2009, 02:30 PM

Yes it's self harm. It hurts right? Causes harm? Your doing it? There you go. If it fits those criteria then it's self harm. It could be any thing as long as it fits those criteria.

The irony being that it gets rid of the hurt yet continuous burning can destroy nerve endings stopping you feeling any thing altogether. Obviously it would only stop you feeling any thing on the burnt areas, not a long term solution to emotional issues.

The chances of it becoming infected are high, leading to pain and an embaressing trip to the doctors. The scars are really hard to explain (as are all scars really).

Your friends are right (obviously) hurting your self will solve nothing. It makes you feel better, endorphines, an element of control etc etc but it doesn't solve any thing.

Write a short story, listen to music, make it some thing touching or epic that really gets your emotions going and you can poor every thing into it. You don't even need to finish it (I never can) it just needs to get rid of your emotions for one night. Write a song (a bit more difficult) and do the same thing. You could even work out or spend your evening on here talking to people, keep your mind off things.

Also it's addictive making every thing stated above and every thing that every one in this thread will tell you even more important. It's a nasty addiction to have and a nasty one to shake as well. It's best left alone.

PM if you want a chat.

Brinn
  Send a message via MSN to Brinn  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Katieee Offline
23/03/08
Average Joe

Name: Katie

Re: I don't know how to say this... - January 28th 2009, 02:49 PM

Yes, that does count as self-harm. It may feel good, but it's really bad. It will lead to addiction. Stop now before it's gets out of control. I know what I'm talking about I'm a self-harmer of three and a half years. I've cut, burnt, scratched, hair pulled, overdosed... and done every type of self-harmingbehaviour there is, including full on suicide attempts.

Please try and do something else when you feel like burning. Go for a walk, watch a movie, dance around like crazy to your favourite songs, write a song/poem to get out how you're feeling, do anything as long as it doesn't cause harm to you. Also talk to someone about this. *HUGS*

"You'll always be my hero, even though you lost your mind."
  Send a message via MSN to Katieee  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I don't know how to say this... - January 28th 2009, 03:00 PM

yes, of course its self harm. whats wrong with it? well.. it's not healthy to use self harm as a coping mechanism, not just physically but mentally also. how to get rid of burns? with great difficulty.. i've got burns marks that i've had for about three years that just won't fade, i think theyre harder to get rid of than cuts.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread