TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Drugs, Alcohol and Addiction Whether you are combating substance abuse or struggling with another addiction such as gambling, this forum is here to provide support and answer your questions.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BarelyHangingOn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,945, Level: 13 Points: 8,945, Level: 13 Points: 8,945, Level: 13

Cutting Addiction? - December 20th 2009, 07:51 PM

I was wondering why cutting is considered an addicton. Like, why can't I stop just because I want to. Why has it become somethin I need?

I'll never be who you want me to be..
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23 Points: 27,365, Level: 23

Re: Cutting Addiction? - December 20th 2009, 08:34 PM

Cutting can definatly become an addiction... I struggled with it for a long time and still do sometimes because I relied on it so much.
Theres kind of two kinds of addictions, physical ones are from smoking and nicotenne and stuff like that, then theres the psycological kind. You can get psycologically addicted to anything. Even like. Skittles. So a lot of people get psycologically addicted to cutting because it is a release, and they learn to rely on it instead of fixing the problem at hand.
Also, cutting or hurting yourself releases endorphines and horomones and such, and that's the rush that people get addicted to a lot of the time.

As to why you are... I think that's a question you need to answer yourself.
I'd say it's probably because you learned to rely on it too much, so when you try to stop your body isn't used to it. Sometimes psycological addictions can manifest itself in physical ways. It did for me anyway... Sometimes I'd get naseous around a certain time period of not cutting, or cranky and irritable, sometimes it'd feel like my skin was burning and screaming out to get hurt or crawling around... But I think that is against just your mind playing tricks on you.

If you're trying to stop, one of the best things to do, just like with alcohol and drug addictions, is to find what is triggering you, and try to fix that. They're actually very similar I've found.
Hope this helped...

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
Article Editor

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36 Points: 63,002, Level: 36

Re: Cutting Addiction? - December 20th 2009, 08:37 PM

Hey.

I compare cutting to smoking. They are both very addicting. Why.. Some people want to jump on the band wagon, and try it themselves, to see what it really does. Then the next time they are having some of the same emotions, they don't know what to do, or where to turn, and they might have enjoyed the release it gave them. And that continues to grow, bigger and bigger, until its an addiction.

This is just my opinion. I'm kind of looking forward to see what others say about it.
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

Article Editor
Social Media Guru|Live Help Mentor|HelpLINK Mentor
Chat Moderator|Forum Moderator(Young at Heart)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
gabbystar Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabby

Points: 9,265, Level: 14 Points: 9,265, Level: 14 Points: 9,265, Level: 14

Re: Cutting Addiction? - December 20th 2009, 11:18 PM

For me, cutting is such an addiction because i rely on it to release the emotion im feeling. Once you start you cant stop because psychologically you feel like you need it to help you when nothing else can even though its in reality not helping at all =/

love
x
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Le Papillon Offline
a secret you can keep
I can't get enough

Name: Samuel

Points: 35,189, Level: 27 Points: 35,189, Level: 27 Points: 35,189, Level: 27

Re: Cutting Addiction? - December 21st 2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBabyEater View Post
Theres kind of two kinds of addictions, physical ones are from smoking and nicotenne and stuff like that, then theres the psycological kind. You can get psycologically addicted to anything. Even like. Skittles.
haha. im addicted to Skittles. and they make me crazy hyper X] but yeah, u can get adicted to cutting. its possible

formerly snowstorm, GoneBeyondRepair, and Breathless in Love
Repose en Paix, Grandad/mom H., Sito, Nay, Mary, Aunt S., Peter, Katie, Lexi, Mrs. Radoye, Mandii, Trevor, Megan, Uncle T., Erika, Aunt R., Braxton, Connie, Adam, Grandpa, Buttons, Aunt Barb, Pi, Grandma ♥
The world will bleed its bloody tale. People will throw their stones. But the one thing you must always remember is:
You no longer walk alone.
-Blake Bliss
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Squirrel Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,937, Level: 13 Points: 8,937, Level: 13 Points: 8,937, Level: 13

Re: Cutting Addiction? - December 21st 2009, 07:16 PM

You can become addicet to self harming. I think of it like this :
When I hurt myself, it triggers something in my brain, like a sense of relief, and when I feel angry or sad or however I feel when I end up hurting myself, I want to feel that relief again, and to do that I need to hurt myself, and its that sense of relief you become addicted to, and since you only get it when you hurt, you become addicted to self harmng.
Closed Thread