TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrimsonLines Offline
Learning how to Fly
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Melanie

Points: 9,607, Level: 14 Points: 9,607, Level: 14 Points: 9,607, Level: 14

Angry My family doctor makes me want to cut myself instead of restraing from self harm - August 11th 2010, 07:26 PM

It makes me so mad that no one understands that cutting is some what like an addiction. I hate my stupid family doctor because she doesn't understand anything about self harm. Today I had a doctor's appointment with her and she seen my scars on my arms. She asked when was the last time I cut myself and I responded that it has been awhile ago. I told her that I last cut myself 3 weeks ago - which is a very long time for me and I am proud that I have manged to go so long without self harming. When she herd that I was still self harming she flipped at me. She expected me to be able to just stop harming myself. She made me feel ashamed and embarassed of myself. I hate her with a passion and she is no help to me. She dosen't make me want to stop cutting instead she makes me want to cut and tear myself apart.:mad :

We can never attain perfection while we have an affection for any imperfection.
- Saint Francis de Sales
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
fall to romance Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Points: 11,951, Level: 15 Points: 11,951, Level: 15 Points: 11,951, Level: 15

Re: My family doctor makes me want to cut myself instead of restraing from self harm - August 12th 2010, 12:35 AM

I'm sorry she makes you feel this way. Just know that not everyone is going to understand. Some people will say what comes to mind without thinking first how the other person will respond. Other people are just incapable of empathizing. The trick is learning to ignore what those people say or do. We have to learn to block the things that might trigger us to SH. It's very difficult. But there's an entire community of people here to support you.

And I'm proud of you as well for not cutting these past weeks. Let's make it a couple weeks more, shall we? If you ever need support, feel free to PM me any time.

-B
--

R.I.P. my sweet baby boy. I miss you so much more than you could have ever imagined.

"There was a moment in my life when I really wanted to kill myself. And there was one other moment when I was close to that. . . . But even in my most jaded times, I had some hope.”-Gerard Way
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Points: 30,836, Level: 25 Points: 30,836, Level: 25 Points: 30,836, Level: 25

Re: My family doctor makes me want to cut myself instead of restraing from self harm - August 12th 2010, 09:58 PM

Hey Melanie,

I am sorry that you found your doctor rather unhelpful and made you feel worse. You are doing really well to have gone 3 weeks without self harm! That is a great achievement, which you can build on. Don't let your doctor set you back because it really isn't worth it and I know you are much stronger than that.

I think your doctor needs to be more understanding and realise that self harm is an addiction and it isn't just a matter of stopping. Perhaps you need to explain that to her. The other option would be to see a different doctor if you think she is no help and only makes you feel worse. You will meet people who will be understanding and want to help so don't let her put you off getting help that you deserve.

You can do this so keep going! Stay strong.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lu

Points: 9,358, Level: 14 Points: 9,358, Level: 14 Points: 9,358, Level: 14

Re: My family doctor makes me want to cut myself instead of restraing from self harm - August 13th 2010, 09:22 AM

Well done for the 3 weeks.

Next time you see her tell her this. Make an appointment and tell her all this, if she still is horrible ask her for a referral to another doctor. Im sure she will pull her act together!

Take Care
Lu xx

Lynda-May
Borderline Personality
PTSD
Firbromyalga Sufferer
cutter
sexual assult and abuse survivor
anorexic/bulimic/EDNOS
Suicide Suvivor
Bipolar
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
herecomesthesun Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rose

Points: 9,807, Level: 14 Points: 9,807, Level: 14 Points: 9,807, Level: 14

Re: My family doctor makes me want to cut myself instead of restraing from self harm - August 14th 2010, 01:58 AM

I understand being pissed at family doctors. I had tons of marks and evidence of self harm (at the time I was denying any sort of help) and she asked me what those were from.
I said GARDENING and she believed me. I used the worst lie ever and she went about as if I were a plant-loving healthy person.

Health care providers really can miss a lot, no matter what they are aware of.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Fineshrine Offline
Rebecca
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Points: 15,253, Level: 18 Points: 15,253, Level: 18 Points: 15,253, Level: 18

Re: My family doctor makes me want to cut myself instead of restraing from self harm - August 18th 2010, 01:47 PM

I understand, it is like an addiction! But you should be proud that you haven't SH in 3 weeks, i'm really happy for you. She just doesnt understand what we go through trying to stop.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Furubasu Offline
FISHSTICKS!
Not a n00b

Name: Jessica

Points: 11,058, Level: 15 Points: 11,058, Level: 15 Points: 11,058, Level: 15

Re: My family doctor makes me want to cut myself instead of restraing from self harm - August 19th 2010, 01:01 AM

Firstly, I'm really proud of you for being able to stop cutting and recognize that it's like an addiction! It really is, and, because I'm a dork, from what I can understand it IS an addiction, scientifically or the like.

Now about your family doctor... perhaps you can ask your parents if maybe you can see another doctor the insurance will cover? If you don't want to go into full detail, you can simply suggest you're not really comfortable seeing this doctor anymore. I hope things work out

I either feel like no one cares, and that I should be breaking things, and that everything is falling apart, or that everything is great, and I can do anything, and I really do have friends.

I'm stuck halfway in between.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount39

Edit avatar

Re: My family doctor makes me want to cut myself instead of restraing from self harm - August 19th 2010, 01:35 PM

I'm sorry that your doctor is like that, and that your family doesn't seem to be helping. It's hard for people who haven't had to deal with it to sometimes understand how hard it can be to stop.
PM me if you ever want to talk.
Closed Thread